Monday, May 02, 2005

Don't Panic

Currently Reading: Sin City, Vol 3: The Big Fat Kill by Frank Miller

One of the reasons the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sells so well is that it has the words "Don't Panic" written on its cover in large, pink, friendly letters. That's also a good tip for dealing with just about everything. I had to keep that in mind at one point during the weekend.

Most of the weekend, in fact all of it except maybe 5 or 10 minutes, was pretty damn great. It was one of those nice, relaxing weekends where everything you do seems to be 100% enjoyable.

We started it off right. Slept in. Best way to start a weekend is to sleep in. There was a sort of Renaissance fair, small one, going on north of town. One of CC's fellow employees was going to that. He wanted us to go as well. No, wait, that's not quite accurate. He wanted HER to go. I get the general impression he'd rather I fell into a large, bottomless pit. But you know, that's ok because I'd rather he was torn apart by a pack of rabid dogs so really, we're even.

Anyway, we couldn't go to that. You see, Saturday night we had tickets to the symphony which means we'd have to go out to the ren fair thing, do all of that, drive back across town, shower, clean up, eat, then drive BACK across town again for the symphony. Too much driving back and forth. Plus, since we slept in, we'd only have an hour or so to spare for the ren fair after all the driving. Waste of time and gas.

Instead, CC wanted to go out for Thai food. She'd gotten a craving for it and so we set about looking up various Thai restaurants. Somewhere along the way she decided Thai wasn't really necessary. What she wanted was spicey instead. So we went to an Indian restaurant instead. Good food actually. We felt good.

On the way home we stopped off at Best Buy to browse a bit then we went home and got ready for the concert.

Oh MAN what a great concert that was. They performed Carmina Burana. I know, most people are looking at me with that blank expression on their face they get when I talk about medieval literature. Carmina Burana, how do I describe it. Well, if you've heard it, you'd know it and go, "Oh THAT one!" It was used a lot in the movie Excalibur and it's also played as part of the opening montage theme song for the Sean Hannity show on talk radio.

Well, as with most classical music, there's just no comparison between listening to something on a CD and seeing it live. That show was simply fantastic!

Slept great that night. Nice day, very peaceful. Woke up a little late again but not too bad. Sunday was movie day. My turn to pick the flick and I wanted to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. But before that, CC and I both needed a haircut so we did that first, then to kill time before the movie, we went over to Barnes & Noble to browse and have coffee. CC had coffee, I don't drink the stuff so I had my usual chai tea latte.

The movie was really damn funny. I don't know why the "purists" keep putting it down. One thing you have to remember about watching The Guide is that this is the 5th version of it. It was a radio play, a TV mini-series, a book and a video game and they're ALL slightly different. No reason to assume that version #5 was going to be word for word like the others right? It wasn't. There were changes but I still thought it was great.

One of the neat things to do while watching it was looking for little references to either the creator of the whole thing or the previous versions. One that stands out is when the gang arrives to rescue Trillian. They're standing in line at immigration and who is that seen in the background? The OLD version of Marvin, the one from the mini-series. I think I was the only one in the theater who noticed :-)

So, what went wrong? What generated the "don't panic" moment? Have a look at my previous entry, the one from Friday. You'll notice a comment attached to it. That's from my father. Seems when I sent out a note to him I left the signature line in the e-mail that has the link to the blog. My secret ranting spot has been discovered by the family. But I'm not going to panic :-)

At first, and actually at second and third and most of today, I was thinking I'd just close this one down, set up shop on a less-doomed blog spot and continue my rants. The only other real option was to make sure I say only NICE things about the family. Yeah right, like THAT'S gonna happen :-) But instead I've decided an entirely different course. Family reads the blog at their own risk :-) Maybe they say or do something that sends me on a rant. Well, if they read the blog, they'll know it :-)

Honestly though I don't think it'll be much of a problem. They don't do much online reading so it's not likely that they'll become regular visitors to my secret hideout :-)

--Oh yes, almost forgot, mom's books arrived today. See? Told ya I didn't hide them :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really a good one Steve. You are one brave Bear! I can actually hear you saying these words. Rough week but so much nicer with CC sharing it.
JJ