Friday, May 20, 2005

I got a bad feeling about this.

Currently Reading: Saturn by Ben Bova

Hello. My name is bear and I'm married to a woman who doesn't know Star Wars. I know, it's shocking. It shocked me too but it's true. And when I say she doesn't know Star Wars, I don't mean that she's not in touch with the uber geek knowledge about the names of all those jedi in the background or what you call every critter on every planet. I mean there are some serious gaps in even the most BASIC knowledge.

It started out something like this. This morning, we were just watching TV and I had said something like, Gee I wonder if there's anyone out there who still doesn't know that Chancellor Palpatine is the guy in the black robes sneaking around and manipulating the whole thing. She looks at me and in all seriousness says, "he is?"

Apparently, and this is ANOTHER big shocker, she never saw the other two prequal movies. Oh sure she's seen the original three, a LONG time ago, in a country far, far away so she does have some vague knowledge of that, but of the new movies, all she really could remember was Jar Jar Binks.

So I spent the morning giving her a general run-down of the plot. She was awake for most of it I think. It's hard to say if she actually got ALL of it though because she was starting to doze. Hmm, maybe I should give her a pop quiz later :-)

One thing I did tell her though was that she should be careful NOT to tell certain people that she doesn't know Star Wars. Not that it's a bad thing in and of itself but because she COULD end up being subjected to a lecture or two or three, especially if she ends up telling a closet uber geek.

Now I know there are some of you out there who are asking how on EARTH I could have let something like this slip by me. How could I marry someone with so little Star Wars knowledge? What do I plan to do about it? How do I remedy this situation? Well, to be honest, Star Wars never really came up before the wedding :-) And as for what I plan to do about it, if I can, I'll get her to sit through the other movies :-) Maybe I'll be lucky and the third one will be SO good that she wants to see the others? Ok probably not. Most likely we'll just see the movie and have a good time and enjoy it and she'll ask me LOTS of questions about it when we go home :-)

So, should you run across my wife and the topic of Star Wars comes up, have a heart. Don't pick on her for not knowing that Luke fights a rancor at Jaba's palace or that Count Dooku is, well, Count Dooku. She's just not that into Star Wars. And if any of you have a PROBLEM with that, you can come right over here and kiss my light saber :-)

No comments: