Thursday, May 19, 2005

A Long Time Ago . . .

Currently Reading: Saturn by Ben Bova

Well come on folks, you didn't think I'd let a little thing like Revenge of the Sith slip by me without comment did ya? It's only the single most important moment in the life of a Star Wars geek you know :-) Not that I'm a geek mind you, just that I notice these things. I mean, Ok, I like the movies, I have them all, I have video games of some of them, graphic novels and even the Clone Trooper gun. But I don't have any COSTUMES (though that storm trooper armor is pretty cool) and I haven't read many of the books. Never been to the conventions and I don't often go to the web site.

If you ever want to get into a completely pointless argument, go over to the Star Wars official website, go into the posting boards, then choose a topic to argue. Seriously, it's that easy. I was over there the other day and saw a 14 page "discussion" on the colors of the light sabres and what that all means.

Another way is to be me :-) Oh that's probably the easiest way in fact. There's this guy at CC's office, thinks he's THE most intelligent person on the planet. No matter WHAT I say, no matter my opinion, I'm wrong, even if I'm right. I'm sure you know a guy like this. He's the one who can't sit through a movie without commenting somewhere along the way about how HE'D have done it different and his way is MUCH superior to every other way. I happened to mention to CC at one time that the whole Star Wars thing was based on this old Japanese movie. That's where he got the idea. Now, over time, the whole thing was fleshed out, characters added, plot twists and all that, but the original idea came from that movie. CC told the guy what I'd said and the guy replies that I am "flat out wrong." He thinks the entire thing is Arthurian.

Don't worry, I'll spare you the multitudinous reasons why it's not Arthurian and just say that Lucas was big on mythology and incorporated a whole BUNCH of it into the 6 films. The point of the matter isn't what the guy thought. The point is that I was "flat out wrong." See? Something as pointless as that and I'm "flat out wrong."

But I digress . . .

Have I seen the movie? No, not yet. I was sitting here with CC earlier explaining the problem. I want to go, but I don't. I want to see it with her, but I don't want to wait until she has a day off. I want to see it in a crowded theater so you can get that audience energy, but I want to see it in an empty theater so I can concentrate on the film. What's funny though is that I already know the story. I've read the comic version, I know what happens. There aren't any big surprises along the way. Still, I want to see it NOW but I don't :-)

You have to remember, I grew up on Star Wars. It came out when I was 7. I grew up with all the toys and the movies and you name it. So this is a big deal. Sort of :-) I mean, yes, I grew up on it but that was almost 30 years ago. I like the new series but I find the supporting characters more interesting. Well, except Obi-Wan. He's pretty major, but Anakin and Padme, that whole thing, doesn't interest me nearly as much as the rest of it. The problem is, well that's the major plot right? How he became Darth Vadar. Watching his fall doesn't interest me nearly as much as all the stuff that goes on elsewhere. Like how the Republic became the Empire. How the Jedi got wiped out. How Yoda and Obi-Wan fooled everyone and hid the twins. See, that stuff I find interesting. I mean, hell if you told me that Anakin went to the dark side because he thought it was cool to dress in black and shoot lightning out of his fingers, that'd been a good enough reason for me :-)

Well, I'm rambling now. Go see the movie when you can. I'll see it when I can and maybe I'll post something about it again later. Right now, this Jedi has to go use the force to finish the laundry. Man, where's the Death Star when you need it eh? :-)

No comments: