Friday, May 27, 2005

Numbers Game

Currently Reading: Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Found a great little time-killer the other day. I was reading the news when I came across an article about the latest craze over in the UK, a puzzle game called sudoku. It's a grid, 9 squares by 9 squares and you must fill in the numbers 1-9 vertically, horizontally, and in the 3x3 blocks.

The finished product looks like this:


When you start the game, only the red numbers are actually printed. The puzzler here is to figure out where all the OTHER numbers fit in.

I'm actually much better at these than your typical crossword puzzle. I don't do the crosswords much so I find those cryptic clues pretty tough to figure out. And my brain seems to have a problem with working the words like that. Same thing with the jumble puzzles too. Confusing clues and lots of unscrambling. Not really what I'm best at.

Give it a try. There's a web site at www.sudoku.com where you can download a free trial program.

No comments: