Sunday, March 06, 2005

Wife cooks meal. Husband eats it. No injuries reported.

Currently Reading The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Remember the old story about the newlywed couple where the wife is just learning how to cook and she ends up burning everything? Then the husband either eats it while faking a smile the whole time (later chugging Pepto in the bathroom) or he acts like a complete jerk and just complains the whole time about how bad his wife cooks.

Well, I'm happy to report that I'm neither of those :-) Why? Because CC made dinner tonight and it was pretty darn good. There really was only one problem with the meal: She made something I didn't like. But I'll have you know that I DID try it (ok so it took a few nudges) and it was actually pretty good.

She made chop suey. Hmm, is that how it's spelled? Hell if I know. Anyway, it's a bunch of veggies all stir-fried with seasoning and she threw in some shrimp for good measure. Me, I'm not big on that sort of thing. Yes, I do eat carrots and even snow peas but I've never been a big fan of the veggie dishes. Still, she did a super job with it. She kept saying it didn't look like the picture on the packet of seasoning and I kept trying to tell her that the dish in the picture is a complete fake. They use all sorts of nasty things on food for pictures to make them look so great. You've seen it I'm sure. Your hamburger at McDonalds NEVER looks as nice as the one in the picture on the menu. That's because the one on the menu is covered in laquer and hair spray and any number of other things to make it look more appealing.

Anyway, it was good. Both of my folks ate it, thought it was great. So no Pepto for me, thank you :-)

No comments: