Sunday, March 06, 2005

Score one for our side!

Currently Reading The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Remember the blog entry from last week describing our futile attempt to get a bank account for CC at First Tennessee? Well, one of the things that the new accounts girl said, repeatedly I might add, was that "ALL the major banks require a drivers license these days. Patriot Act you know." I remember the Patriot Act. Helps law enforcement get a handle on terrorists and the like. Don't remember anything quite so draconian in there regarding LEGAL immigrants and banks. And I was right :-)

Friday, I made three calls to three separate banks here in Memphis. The first was to Union Planters. Decent sized bank, offices all over the country. I told the woman on the line that my wife and I wanted to open an account but we'd run into a problem with her not being a US citizen. Without missing a beat, and with a little bit of a condescending yet humorous tone she said, "Sir, you don't have to be a US citizen to open a bank account." Right then I was thinking, "Ok, the world is making sense again."

After going over the process with her for a few minutes, I told her about what happened at First Tennessee and she said, somewhat shocked, "We have a LOT of older people who bank with us. They don't have drivers licenses. We'd NEVER turn THEM away for something like that."

Next I called National Bank of Commerce. Pretty much the same deal with them as well though not nearly as humorous. Still, I was noticing a trend.

Third call was to Bank of America. CC had tried to open an account with them online but it wouldn't let her. I wasn't so sure it was because of bank policy and I was right. Sure the online bank account program requires that you be a US citizen but that's only because if you AREN'T one, they need to verify that you're here legally and that means you've got to show them more ID.

Saturday, CC and I went to the Bank of America branch and wouldn't you know it, we got an account. She's SUPER happy about it. They were very nice, very helpful and we're all set. We just have to wait for everything to arrive in the mail (checks, check cards, that sort of thing).

I told CC, "Makes me want to go over and open an account at Union Planters and National Bank of Commerce as well, then get all the bank cards, go over to First Tennessee, find that woman, hold the cards up and ask her just which 'major' banks required the drivers license?"

No comments: