Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Not growing up without a fight!

Currently Reading: The Damnation Game by Clive Barker

You may have read over on CC's blog that she bought me a Clone Trooper blaster rifle from Target the other day. It's true, she did and I really love that thing :-) Oh it has no real purpose. It's just a toy of course. Sure is fun though, at least for me. It's all part of my NOT growing up without a fight.

Oh it's true, I will have to be dragged, kicking and screaming before I ever totally cross over to "The Dark Side" -- meaning being a grown up ALL the time. Where's the fun in THAT? You know, the world would be a MUCH happier place if we all kept just a LITTLE bit of space inside us to be a kid.

You wouldn't want to be a kid ALL the time. Just look what happened to all those baby boomers who refused to grow up at ALL and just ended up exchanging one set of toys for another. They went from toy guns and games to video games and expensive stereos to computers and MP3 players and fancy cars. And they're still at it. But the toys are not really their problem. Hell I have most of those toys myself. The real problem with THAT particular group of child wannabes is that mentally, they still ACT like children. You've seen them I'm sure. They're the ones in the stores pitching a fit at some poor customer service clerk because the shopping experience wasn't perfect. Or maybe they're the ones trying to be "friends" with their AWFUL children instead of actually being a parent. You can always have too much of a good thing.

This toy that CC bought me, I'll let you in on a little secret. Back in the 1970's when the original three movies came out, they made a Storm Trooper gun like this. OH MAN did I ever want one of THOSE! Parents would never get it for me though. I don't know if it's a violence thing or not. I only had two cap guns growing up, one of which I bought myself with allowance money. Never had a BB gun (Red Ryder or other) or any of the guns that shot foam darts. Had one that shot little plastic disks but there again, bought that myself and it was for a game we were playing in high school (think of a very primative version of paintball).

Anyway, so this here toy gun is something I've been wanting since I was about 7. Now I have it and it's COOL :-)

Don't worry though, I'm not such a geek that I'll be taking it with me to the opening of the next Star Wars movie and I don't dress up in costume or anything like that. It's just something fun :-)

No comments: