Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Care Bears in Sin City

Currently Reading: My Gun Is Quick by Mickey Spillane

Sometimes you have to wonder if the forces of the universe are just out to get you. Or, if they're not totally out to get you, maybe just out to make you look silly. Yesterday, I had one of those moments.

As most folks know by now, my father was laid off last week and so he's been home, working around the house or looking for jobs online. That means I have temporary access to a car without having to drive CC to work in the morning. That's a good thing right? Well everything has its price.

Yesterday I decided to go out for a bit. I wanted to get a copy of House of Flying Daggers and look around at computer software, maybe look into a few Gameboy games, stuff like that. I also intended to go see the movie Sin City. CC and I have a little deal going where we alternate picking which movie to see when we go out. Right now she's up 2 movies so I get to pick the next two unless we both agree on the film. This way, she gets me to go see "chick movies" while I get to take her to see the guy flicks. Sin City clearly falls into the guy flicks category.

Problem is though, looking into the future of the films coming out this summer, well, I'm going to have to sit through a LOT of chick movies to make up for all the films I'm gonna drag CC to. Anyway, in order to decrease that amount, and to free up Saturday so we can see Kung Fu Hustle (which we both want to see) I went and saw Sin City by myself.

I got to the theater a bit early. Had maybe 20 minutes to kill and didn't feel like just sitting there in the theater so I went into the game room. They had one of those machines with the crane and you try and pick up a toy from the vat. If you can drop it into the box, you get to keep it. Usually I'm horrible at this game but I decided to play anyway because there seemed to be a few good prospects. Well, the first one I tried, the claw got a hold on the bear but when it lifted up, the bear was off balance and so it flipped over and fell out of the claw on the way to the box. That gave me good insight though. I noticed another bear in a similar position, adjusted so it wouldn't be off balance, and BAM, caught me a Care Bear.

This didn't seem odd at the time. Wasn't until I was at the concession stand getting some popcorn when I thought about it: I'M GOING TO BE SITTING IN SIN CITY WITH A CARE BEAR!

Ok, no need to freak out here. It's a Tuesday. The place is empty. Probably no one will notice much.

I go into the theater. Totally empty. I have my choice of seats. Perfect. 5 minutes to showtime, no one. 3 minutes, no one. About a minute before the start up, this HUGE black guy comes into the theater. I'm talking 6 foot plus, 300+ pounds. Looks like a lineman for a football team. And here's me, skinny, short, white guy sitting RIGHT in the middle of the theater with a pastel green Care Bear in my lap. Oh what a picture THAT must have made.

I was hoping maybe he wouldn't notice. I wasn't so lucky. He looked . . . TWICE and long.

Oh, I know what it was. He had to be wondering what in the HELL I had sitting in my lap. That's something that really does look out of place in the movies, especially for an adult. I just hope he remembered the crane game in the arcade. If he did, he knew where the bear came from.

I have to admit though, it was pretty comfortable having that bear in my lap during the movie. At least we were in the dark :-)

No comments: