Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Big Spring Slowdown

Currently Reading: The Damnation Game by Clive Barker

Hmm, with a title like that I should write the whole letter in the style of Film Noir detective movies.

It was the kind of day outside where the sun came up loud. Clouds littered the sky like cotton balls stuck with cheap glue. Below it all, the new grass clawed its way through the brown remains of last year's turf.

Seems like a lot of effort to go through just to say it was sunny outside and the grass is growing. What's also going on is . . . well not much. That's the whole point of the big spring slowdown you see. We all start to slow down heading into summer. Why? I'm not sure actually. I do know that when you're a kid, it's exactly the opposite. You slow down in the fall heading into the winter. In spring you speed up. The little guys are bouncing all over the streets these days. Wish I had that energy this time of year.

CC and I will put that energy to good use though (theirs, not ours). We're moving into our new apartment in June so we'll be using plenty of child labor. Let's see how excited my sister's kids are about helping us move when we have them haul the desk up three flights of stairs MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA :-)

Actually they'll be a big help. There will be plenty of little boxes filled with just stuff. I have LOTS of "just stuff" around here. Take my desk for example. Yes, it's a bit cluttered at the moment but even in it's CLEAN state it's covered with just stuff. Some of it is stuff I use all the time like pens and address books and things like that. The rest, or most of it anyway, is decoration really. Over to my left, on one shelf, in front of a row of books I've got a small collection of action figures. Three of them are Japanese, the others are Marvel. I have both The Thing and The Hulk. Oh, and there's the black and turquoise bear Judy sent me. There's also a candle and a pile of change. And that's just the beginning.

Over on top of the monitor there's a stuffed bear and a stuffed dog. The bear I got when CC and I went to Gatlinburg for the first time. The dog she sent me when she was in Manila because it looks a bit like Katya. Over on the right, another candle, incense burner, two sets of headphones and my "Major Award" lamp. If you've seen the movie "A Christmas Story" you know all about the major award lamp.

Ok, I could go on with this detailed inventory of my desk but let's face it, it's pretty boring and this blog entry is running long :-)

So remember, it's spring. Take it slow. You're SUPPOSED to :-)

No comments: