Tuesday, September 06, 2005

DCI, Dead Judges, and Spam

Currently Reading: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Just finished watching the DCI finals on ESPN 2. It was nice to see an actual network cover the event instead of the usual PBS broadcast. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against PBS but with the DCI broadcast, it was always an optional item. Sometimes they'd show it, sometimes not and never at the same time of day. One year I caught it at 11 pm while channel surfing. The year before that it was shown in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday.

Anyway, it was a great show. My only real complaint is the same one I always have. They never show enough of the shows. I understand, they have to clip a 3 to 4 hour show into a 2 hour TV slot plus commercials. Still, it was nice how they ran them back in the 80's when the local PBS station in Texas would set aside a 3 hour block and run the whole thing.

I really did enjoy marching with the high school band in the drumline. I was thinking about it during the show tonight. It's the only time I ever went out in front of an audience to perform and DIDN'T feel nervous. Never felt nervous during concert season or parade season either. It's still the only performing art that never stressed me out. Makes me wonder how things might have turned out if I stuck with music instead of dropping it and going with public speaking and drama.

-----

As I'm sure you've already heard by now, we lost our Chief Justice the other day. He's due to be burried on Wednesday. I only had a few remarks about that. First, a big kick in the ass to Alan Der...uh...Dir...hmm...Dershwitz? Close enough. What a jerk. Renquist is dead and you don't speak ill of the dead no matter how much you hated them. So what's the first thing he does? On national TV he calls the late Chief Justice a thug. Talk about lacking class. Then again, he's a lawyer. Why should I have expected more?

My other remark is really more towards CSPAN. I was channel surfing earlier today and I happened to catch LIVE coverage of the Renquist viewing. What was that? Viewing? No, you didn't actually get to see the body. Basically it was a stationary camera pointed at a flag-draped coffin. Every now and then people would go by. Some would stop and pay their respects. Otherwise, coffin. It was like watching paint dry. I mean, what exactly do they think is going to happen here? Is he going to push open the lid and reveal himself to be ZOMBIE JUDGE!? I doubt it.

-----

Spammers, I just wanted to let you know that Dante has come back from the dead to revise his description of hell. He's included a nasty, painful spot for you guys right down there towards the bottom. You'll be slightly higher than the guys who write viruses. You'll all be sharing space with the lawyers so better get friendly with them now.

Yes, I've been having spam problems lately. Every so often a bot program crawls through my website and finds a feedback form or guest book form and it starts sending me spam through it. So now I have to go through and delete guest book forms and such. I put those in there so folks could let me know what they thought of the site and some jackass decides to use it to tell me about his Texas Hold'em poker system.

-----

Ah well, I'm off to bed. I think I've picked up a cold.

.

No comments: