Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Company I keep; Baked Goods

Currently Reading: South Of The Border, West Of The Sun by Haruki Murakami

I'm starting to be known by the company I keep. Some of that is to be expected of course. At CC's office, I'm better known as her husband than by my actual name. Makes perfect sense. They see her every day. They see me maybe once or twice a year.

There are exceptions of course. The two girls we took to the zoo and to the mall over Labor Day holiday, they know my name. And then there's Adam. I don't think he'll EVER forget my name at this point :-)

What's getting a bit funny though is that I'm starting to be known around the apartment complex as Katya's owner. Katya is, as you may recall, my Australian Shepard. First time we encountered this was when the guy came to fix the air conditioner. He remembers the dogs. Me? Well, I'm the guy attached to the OTHER end of the leash. He remember Katya.

This morning, it happened again. The dogs and I are coming back from our morning walk when these two older ladies approach us. Katya being Katya she went into super friendly mode and was promptly fawned over by both of them. One of the women asked me, "Where do you get a dog like that?" I had to tell her that I got Katya from a ranch in South Texas but that they were available around here too. You just have to look.

These two also mentioned that they'd seen us walking before and had made it a point to come talk to us. What's interesting is that the girl in the apartment directly below us did the same thing. She'd seen us walking and was a fan of Australian Shepards so she came out to meet us.

Being known as Cecille's husband, that's fairly normal. I wonder though, am I going to be forever known as Katya's owner around the apartment complex? :-)

-----

I've been doing a bit of baking lately. This past weekend, I think CC mentioned it, or maybe I did, we baked oatmeal raisin cookies. Well, yesterday, to add to that, I made a banana bread.

But before I could do it, I had to walk to the corner drug store. As I was taking out the ingredients to prepare for baking, I dropped the egg container, breaking the one egg inside. Ok, it's true that I needed TWO eggs and not one, but by breaking that one egg, I removed the option to make half a loaf instead of a whole one.

The walk didn't take that long. 10 minutes each way. CC's amazed by it though. She thinks it's so far to the corner store.

Got eggs, got home, got baking. It came out great :-)

-----

It's been a slow week, can you tell? Blame the bursitis. I can't do much because of my shoulder.

.

No comments: