Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sunset Blvd.

Currently Reading: Operation Red Jericho by Joshua Mowll

Well, I'm sure we all know about that HUGE hurricane that's heading for New Orleans. Gotta wish those folks the best. They surely are going to go through hell over the next few days. I saw in one report that after everything passes over them, the city could be under 30 feet of water. Another report suggested a possible death toll of 50,000. It's the kind of storm we've only seen 3 other times. It's even stronger than the one that burried Galveston, Texas at the turn of the century.

If you're a religious person, say a prayer for those folks down there. If you're not, well, extend them all the positive karma you can.

Given what happened the last time a hurricane hit down there and crawled its way up toward Memphis, I'm doing my usual Monday blog on Sunday. The last one knocked out power, you see, and by the time it got here it was just a cluster of thunder storms. Last I checked, Katya (short for Ikatarina, Russian for Catharine, source of the name Katrina) was a category 5 so she may still be packing hurricane winds when she gets up this far and yes, we ARE in the path, more or less. It'll probably push east of here but that still means a lot of rain and wind and possible loss of power or phone. But don't you folks be worried about anything. We're quite safe here. Only thing likely to happen to us is we get wet walking the dogs.

-----

Saw Sunset Blvd. tonight. Great movie that one. William Holden, Gloria Swanson. Fabulous picture, great script. I love the way it starts out with Holden floating dead in the pool. You know right up front that this story isn't going to have a happy ending. And you can also tell that it's going to be a very odd trip.

This is one of those pictures everyone should see. Me, I haven't seen it about 10 years and I'd only seen it the one time so it was still pretty new to me. Oh sure, I knew the basics. That woman is NUTS! A bit sad too. So is poor Max. Oh yes, you've got to feel for Max. He's pretty nuts too for that matter.

Not going to get into the details. The folks who've seen it are nodding their heads. Yeah, you know who's nuts in that movie and you know how great it is. The rest of you are wondering why you should bother watching a movie where everyone is nuts or sad. My answer to you is a short one: because there isn't anything better on TV or at the movies.

So go out and grab a copy. Go rent it or buy it at the store or order it and watch it when it arrives. You'll love it. I know I sure did. Going to have to add that to my list of movies to get. No movie library is really complete without it.

.

No comments: