Monday, August 22, 2005

Star Craft, Poker, and Other Time Killers

Currently Reading: Roadwork by Stephen King

Oh Star Craft where art thou? I'd been wondering that for a while so last week I finally dug through the boxes in the storage closet we call The Bat Cave and found my CD. I removed Star Craft from the machine a year ago or more because, at the time, I was running out of drive space. Now I've got one of those obscenely huge drives, plenty of space so I loaded it up.

First problem, well, MAIN problem actually, it didn't work. Not sure why it wouldn't run. The machine wouldn't read the CD. I didn't see any problems with the disk itself. Nothing worked so I had to resort to plan B: wait. Well, at the time I tried to load the game we didn't have the cash to replace it :-)

Sunday I finally got a new copy. This one is actually better than my previous one, which was bought for me in Manila and was of questionable heritage. This one actually has all the great sounds, ALL of them, not just some, and it's got the cut scenes that run between battles. Some of those are pretty creepy and they really add to the game.

All things considered, I've got to list Star Craft as my favorite game of all time I think. Previously that honor had been held by Doom, which still ranks a close second. They sure don't make games like that anymore. No, wait, that's not true. The problem is, they ONLY make games like that anymore. When Doom and Star Craft came out, they were cutting-edge amazing. Now, well, how many first person shooters are there out there? Yeah, too many to count. And how many top-down, real-time tactical games? Exactly.

What's pretty amazing about the quality of Star Craft is that you can still buy it. It came out 1998 and produced one expansion set. No sequels so far, but there hasn't been a NEED for them. Oh, there is one spin-off game coming out. It's going to be a first-person shooter I think, based on one of the human army units and placed in the Star Craft world. Might be fun, might not. Doesn't matter to me either way really. I have the original, again, and I'm going to play it straight on through :-)

-----

Ok, what's the deal with poker? This is really getting out of hand. I actually saw results of some poker game posted in the sports section. Since when is poker a sport? And since when is it even worth covering?

Take a trip down the dial of your cable or satellite TV service and you're bound to come across at least one station covering it. Tune in at the wrong time and you'll see three or FOUR stations showing some variation. It's crazy. About as interesting as watching paint dry or grass grow. You're actually getting coverage of a group of guys (with the occasional woman thrown in) sitting around a table, looking at each other. Worse, we can usually see the cards people are holding so we KNOW how the game is going to come out, unless someone falls for a bluff.

On my list of things to watch on TV, poker ranks WAY down there at the bottom along with Barbara Streisand movies and CSPAN coverage of the House and Senate. The only thing I can think of is that these poker games must be really cheap to broadcast. They must be making money for someone otherwise they wouldn't be on the air.

Ah well, that's why there are so many channels on cable TV today. Of course, that's also why there never seems to be anything GOOD on all those cable channels :-)

.

No comments: