Monday, October 03, 2005

The View From The Sofa

Currently Reading: Shadow Of The Giant by Orson Scott Card

I didn't exactly have the best weekend. Saturday I woke up feeling pretty bad. Felt a bit bloated, tired, weak. My stomach was cramping up in waves and when it took a break, those cramps moved around to my back instead. Pretty uncomfortable to say the least.

Naturally in that state I really couldn't eat anything. I did manage two pieces of toast and some tea but that was all I could handle. Spent the morning on the sofa.

Some time in the afternoon, maybe around 1 or so, what little I'd had to eat and drink started to re-appear and NOT in a good way. For those of you who aren't good with euphamisms, that means I was throwing up :-) Spent a good part of the afternoon in the bathroom.

That began a pattern for me. I'd nap/doze on the sofa for an hour or so, then it was back to the bathroom. Felt awful.

8 PM rolls around and CC heads off to bed. She didn't fall asleep at first of course. She was watching TV for a while. I refused to move though. I knew what sort of night I was in for and I certainly didn't want to spread the misery. No reason why we should both have to suffer through it. Spent the night on the sofa.

At around 9 or so I instigated what I like to call The Manila Plan. This is basically how I get over jet lag. My reasoning was that this stomach virus or flu or whatever it was was quite a bit like having the severe jet lag that comes when you fly to Asia. So, first thing I did was I made my way over to the desk and took my medication. Always have to start there. It's usually the first thing people forget to do when they get ill. But you know, no matter how sick you are, if you're supposed to take something on a daily basis, you really need to keep doing that. It'll just make things worse otherwise.

Next step is fluids. In this case, Gatorade. I cannot emphasize this enough, you MUST drink Gatorade. It'll get you through. See, it's got those extra calories in it. Yes, it's got the vitamins and minerals and whatever, that's all very nice, but unlike water, Gatorade will give you a little bit of energy. And since your odds of keeping Gatorade down are about the same as keeping water down, you might as well drink something that's going to boost your energy.

Step three, bread. Bread comes in only when you get to the point where you can keep solids down. The beauty of bread is that it's so damn bland. Just normal, white bread. Soaks up everything and gives you even MORE energy. And after a the bread, you can start adding things to it like . . . cheese. Now you're talking dairy, now you're talking heavy calories. Still bland though so you can usually keep it down. Great stuff there.

So, how did I spend my Saturday night? Well, I woke up almost every hour. Sometimes I'd sleep a little longer, sometimes a little less but about every hour. Wake up, pee, drink Gatorade, sleep. Over and over again. Each time I'm able to drink a little more Gatorade and each time I'm able to sit up a little bit longer. You have to sit up for a while because when you spend the whole day in bed, your butt and back get a bit sore :-)

The tide turned in my favor around 3 or so. After my 3 am bathroom trip and Gatorade moment I slept a full TWO hours instead. Oh yes, things got better from then on. Next thing you know it's 7 am and I'm having toast and tea. Then it's 11 am and I'm sitting at the desk, reading e-mail while having a cheese sandwich.

Full recovery didn't actually occur until around 5 pm Sunday. Took the dogs out for their walk along with CC and I had most of my energy back. And now, it's Monday morning and apart from that weird, drained feeling you get after being sick, I'm back to normal.

-----


In other news . . .

My wife rocks. Poor thing, it was her first relatively stress-free weekend and how does she spend it? Watching over the dying man on the sofa. I felt bad about that and still do. I'll have to find a way to make up for it. Not that we had anything planned for Saturday but just about ANYTHING would have been better than sitting around the apartment with me sick.

-----


Bonus books! We were out walking the dogs Sunday morning and came back via the route next to the dumpster. It's sort of a community hub really. It's the only place in the complex where EVERYONE goes eventually.

Someone was moving out or got evicted. It happens. The maintenance guys were removing what was left in the apartment and what they usually do, they leave usable stuff next to the dumpster instead of tossing it inside. I've seen all sorts of stuff stacked up there over the past few months. Usually people leave lamps or old electronics. Yesterday though, a near complete set of Harry Potter books, most of them hardback. Talk about a good deal. I flipped through them, nothing wrong with these books. Even the covers were clean. They were stacked along with some other books, Anne of Green Gables, something else. Now, I've been meaning to flesh out my Potter collection. I have books 3 and 6. I've read the whole series but 3 and 6 are the only ones I'd actually bought myself. The others I borrowed. So now I have the whole set, 1-6 :-)

Oh yes, the rest of the books were picked up by other residents before noon. They didn't last very long at all.

-----


My parents are moving . . . eventually. Yeah, I know, that's hardly a prediction right? But this is what I'm told. I got an e-mail from my mother this morning saying that she and my father have decided that in 2 years or so they're planning to move out of their current house and into something a little smaller. They've really got more room than they need now that CC and I aren't living there anymore.

Where are they moving to? They don't really know yet. Plenty of subdivisions around. Hell where they move to might not even exist at the moment. Might just be in the planning stages in some developers office. We'll find out soon enough.

The real bummer of all this is that now I'm going to have to clean out the damn attic. Like most people, we piled up a LOT of stuff in the attic. Can't stay there. It's got to come down and the stuff that's mine (and a lot of it is mine) is going to have to move. Guess I'll have to free up some space in the bat cave :-)

.

No comments: