Thursday, October 06, 2005

Sleepless Nights; Sports Theories; So Co..Co..Cold

Currently Reading: Shadow Of The Giant by Orson Scott Card

I really hate not being able to sleep. Doesn't matter why I can't sleep, it's the fact that I'm not sleeping that really bugs me. Yeah sure, maybe I have a sore shoulder one night and it keeps me awake. It's not the shoulder that bothers me, it's that it keeps me awake.

Now, when I know what's keeping me awake, it's annoying, as I've said, but when I can't sleep for no apparent reason, that's MUCH worse. Take last night for example. CC was up a little late working on a project for work and I was watching both her and the baseball games. At about 10 we were both yawning, probably feeding off each other. She finally finished and went to bed and I went with her because I always do. I stay there until she falls asleep because she rests better that way.

Anyway, at 10:30 I'm reasonably sleepy, just like any other night. I stay awake long enough to watch the end of the baseball game then head for bed. at 12:30 I'm awake and getting annoyed. I figure, maybe I just have to go to the bathroom or something and I can't get comfortable until I do that. Fine, trip to the bathroom, done. 1:00 comes and goes. 1:30 comes and goes and the only thing I'm getting is an occasional dozing. 2:00 comes around and I'm REALLY getting frustrated. I got back up and went into the living room to watch TV. Just my luck, last night was "sucky programming after midnight" and no one sent me the memo.

FINALLY, after an hour of jumping from one bad program to another I went back to bed at 3 and stayed there until 9:30 or so, at which point Katya was on the bed being rather insistant that I take them out for their morning walk NOW! I'll spare you the details. Trust me, you do NOT want to know.

-----

Let's talk baseball. No, don't go running away, baseball is gooooooooood. Baseball is your ffffrrriiiieeeennnnddddd. Actually I was thinking more in terms of sports in general but baseball happens to be the key in this little story.

I have a new theory about which teams win or lose in any given sport in any given series. That theory is a simple one: I can only ever have one team doing well at a time. Let me give you some examples here. I back the Dallas Cowboys in football, the San Antonio Spurs in basketball and the NY Yankees in baseball. Cubs too but they usually don't factor into this.

Right now we have a multiple sport crossover. Hockey has just started up. Basketball is going into pre-season. Football is chugging along. Baseball is wrapping up. Notice what's going on here and what usually happens each season. Dallas is starting off slow yet again. The Spurs will do the same. Why? Because the Yankees are in the playoffs. Once baseball season is over or if the Yankees lose, the Spurs and Cowboys will be able to win. Simple. Only one team does well at a time.

Carry it back to last season. Dallas? Sucked. The Yankees? Played well but lost out to the BoSox in the playoffs. Spurs? Won the whole damn thing and took home the trophy. The only time any combination of these teams did well together was when I WASN'T a fan.

-----

What's the deal with these rumors about Brett Favre going to the Jets? Yeah, wishfull thinking to say the least. Neither team could afford a trade like that. Sure the Jets need a quarterback and yes, the Packers need...well everything BUT a quarterback, but a trade like that just can't be done in the NFL these days.

Besides, Brett needs to follow through with the tradition regarding really great QB's. He needs to have a great, high peak then finish on a completely sucky team. Look back at those Hall of Fame guys and you'll see what I mean. All the really great, legendary quarterbacks pretty much had to be dragged out of the game kicking and screaming.

Yes, you can always say there was John Elway. But he's the exception, not the rule. Think of Aikmen, Marino, Kelly, Young, Bradshaw, etc.

-----

Fall is upon us. No, really, it is this time. I think. Well maybe. All I know is that when I look at the forecast for the next few days it says we won't be warmer than 70. Time to turn off that AC and remember where I packed the sweatshirts. :-)

.

No comments: