Monday, October 24, 2005

The Cold, Asian Wife Run; I Should Have Known

Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World by Haruki Murakami

I saw something REALLY funny this morning. It's the sort of thing you see that's just proof there are certain universals in the world.

I was up on the balcony outside painting the wood for the picture frame (see last blog entry) According to the weather reports, it was about 52 at the time with a wind chill of 44. That's cold no matter how you look at it.

So there I am, painting away and over the rail I see a man and his wife (a Japanese couple that lives on the first floor) walking arm and arm towards the parking lot, talking. It's the sort of thing some couples do. CC and I do it all the time, especially outside and in malls. Anyway, they get maybe, say 3 or 4 parking spaces into the parking lot and a gust of wind blows. In one fluid movement the wife unthreads her arm from her husband, turns and does what I like to call the Cold Asian Wife Run. She heads right back across the parking lot to their apartment, husband shaking his head a little as he follows.

I've seen that run before. CC does it quite often in the fall and winter. Arms down at the sides, shoulders tensed up, head down but not all the way, nose crinkled up.

CC's not the only one I've seen do it though. I've also seen it in a few Japanese movies and a few Chinese movies. So what I'm thinking is that it's not just a Filipino thing, which was my first theory. It's got to be some sort of Asian thing. Right now I have it just limited to wives because everyone I've seen perform this little run has been married. Maybe women run different when they're single.

'Tis the season. Keep an eye out for it. You'll probably see it too :-)

-----

What was I thinking? I had TWO "should have know" moments, both sports related. The first one was during the last two minutes of the Cowboys game. Once again they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. All they had to do was get the ball down into field goal range. They had two time outs, they had fairly decent field position but what happens? Guys from Seattle bust through the line and chase Bledsow. He throws into DOUBLE coverage, UNDER throws it and it's intercepted.

So then I'm thinking well, they're still a long way out. There's only a few seconds left on the clock. Overtime. Still have a chance. Or DO we? Damn that kicker. No, I shouldn't be hard on Seattle, they were just doing what they get paid to do. Guy nails a 50 freakin yard field goal. No time left on the clock. Game over. Seattle wins.

To recap, in the last two minutes of the game, Dallas goes from being up by 7 to losing by 3.

The other "should have known" you probably already guessed. That's right, I didn't bother to watch the end of game 2 of the World Series even though I KNOW better than to turn off a baseball game that soon. Hell I even blogged about it last week when the Cardinals homered in the 9th to force another game. But did I listen to my own advice? Oh hell no, I turned that game off because the Astros were so far ahead and Chicago wasn't playing that well. Figured they were going to tie the series up at 1 a piece.

Should have known better.

.

No comments: