Friday, October 21, 2005

Bunny Discovers Corona With Lime; My Man Murakami; What The Hell's Wrong With People?

Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World by Haruki Murakami

CC had an office party last night. One of the guys is leaving so they threw him a party over at a pub up the road from the office. Not a bad place actually. It was fairly well-lit which is a pleasant change over most sports bars where they keep the lights down low so you don't notice just how much your draft beer is watered down and just how nasty those nachos look.

After polishing off our fair share of food, CC decided she wanted a beer. She drinks, well I'm not really sure what to call it. It's light beer, that's for sure. This stuff is like, FEATHER-light beer. You've probably seen it. Aspen Edge is one version. Michelobe has one too. It's low carb, low everything sort of beer. I mentioned, while we were playing pool, that her beer is a bit watered down. She didn't really know what I meant so I explained that, compared to normal beer, light beer and feather-light beer tastes like you just poured water in real beer.

I decided, at that point, that I'd have a beer myself. I don't drink very often and when I do, I don't drink much. But given that we were in a pub, the placed smelled of stale smoke and nachos, I dunno, it just seemed right. So, what did I order? Well they're not going to have Lone Star in Memphis (and I probably wouldn't order it anyway). I'd seen some of the other guys order and it brought back memories. Corona, with lime :-) Hadn't had one of those since college so that's what I ordered.

Took my bottle, pushed my slice of lime through the neck (with CC's help, it was stubborn) and had a drink. Naturally CC wanted to try it too and she really liked it. Keep in mind though, by this time she's had probably half a beer so she's feeling good :-) The whole discussion about watered down beer never came up again. She just kept taking swigs of my beer saying how the lime makes it not taste like beer. I dunno, tasted like beer to me :-)

Oh yes, that wasn't a cheap shot about her having half a beer. She really can't hold her beer very well. Since she doesn't drink and never has, it doesn't take much for her to get a decent buzz, even on a full stomach. Fortunaty, she has me and I don't let her drink so much that she ends up falling-down drunk or that she'll get a hangover. That's what bear's are for :-)

-----

Now, a word or two about my man Murakami. He's one of the best damn writers out there these days. Better still, he's alive :-) This is a big selling point for me because most of the books I read tend to be by dead people. That makes it REALLY frustrating when you finish reading everything the author wrote. It's the end, nothing more to follow. Damn annoying.

One of the other things I like about Murakami is that his books don't suffer when you re-read them. With some stories, if you go back and read them again, you notice things that you probably shouldn't have. Maybe it's a plot hole, or maybe reality gets stretched a little bit too far. You may not have noticed it the first time you read it through because you were so engrossed by the plot or the characters. But knowing where the story is going, you're more observant the second time around. In the case of Murakami's books, it's a GOOD thing to notice the background. Every time you read one of his books you end up picking up on something different.

Anyway, it's not the sort of stuff everybody likes but if you're out at the bookstore and you're needing something to read and you want to try something REALLY different, head on over to Fiction and Literature and browse through the books by Haruki Murakami. He's got several, including two books of short stories and one no-fiction about the Tokyo Subway Gas Attack.

-----

What the hell is wrong with people? No seriously, I wanna know. Those of you out there who have something wrong with you, you know who you are :-) What the hell's wrong with you?

I was over at the Fox Sports website earlier. It's a HUGE weekend in sports you see, and I wanted to read over the latest news. One of the things they have there is a little poll. Today's question asked what you were most looking forward to this weekend. Among the choices were The World Series, Texas vs Texas Tech, etc. Do you know what was in the top slot? The answer most people chose was the start of SOCCER PLAYOFFS!

What the hell is WRONG with you people? Soccer playoffs? Metric football? Am I suddenly in Europe? Did reality shift? Metric football playoffs over The WORLD FREAKIN SERIES???

You folks out there better be drunk and were voting for soccer as a joke or I swear I'm gonna come down there and smack the lot of ya :-)

.

No comments: