Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Boys of Summer on Vacation; Slow Motion; 2046

Just Finished Reading: Shadow Of The Giant by Orson Scott Card

And then there were 4 and damnit, my boys aren't one of em. Well, they put up a good fight. They weren't the top seed going into the playoffs anyway so I suppose they got about as far as most people really expected (except for the guys who said the Angels didn't have enough good pitchers).

Naturally the talk now is what they're going to do in the off season. They've been on vacation now for less than 24 hours and already the big talk is who is going to be traded and who is available as a free agent. I guess when you have a $203 million payroll you open yourself up to that sort of talk.

It makes sense, don't get me wrong. Once you're done for the season, your next step is to go over what happened and see who's producing and who isn't and make your best plans for the next season. I just wish they'd knock off all this talk about personnel changes until AFTER the World Series. Same goes with the other sports. I hate it when all the talk in the NFL during the playoffs centers around what teams who are OUT of the playoffs are going to do. When you get this close to the finals, I want to be able to focus on the teams LEFT in the series.

Which brings up the next obvious question for me, Who am I going to support now? Can't say I much care for the Angels. I watched all 5 games, seen their team win and lose. Just don't much care for them. There's really nothing about them that interests me. So for the American League I think I'll go with the White Sox. And in the National League, that's a tougher call. On the one hand all you hear about here in Memphis is the Cardinals. Our minor league team is a Cardinals feeder. On the other hand, Being from Texas I had a steady diet of the Astros while I was growing up and, come on, how can you not like the Roger Clemens story? The guy is 42 and still a starting pitcher in the majors. Guess I'll back the Astros.

-----

I'm running slow today. Something happened to the cable connection. I have NO idea what the problem is. My hardware is working fine but the modem isn't getting any signal from the line. Had to call customer service and put in a tech call. I hate doing that. Nothing they can do remote. They have to send someone out to check the line. That means tomorrow will be lost, waiting for the cable guy.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the damn thing will be working by then. Whatever the problem is it might just be a temporary thing. We'll see. Until then I feel like I'm blogging in slow motion :-)

-----

One last thing, there's a great Chinese movie that just started playing in wide release called 2046. If you get a chance, go and see it. It's a beautifully shot film. Not an action movie so don't go in expecting to see Crouching Tiger.


.

No comments: