Wednesday, December 14, 2005

This Side of Graceland

Currently Reading: The Once And Future King by T. H. White

Men and women have different ideas about what "good decorating" is. This is something that is VERY apparent during the Christmas season when we all drag down the decorations from the attic or out of the closet to make things a little more festive around the house.

You've seen our decorations by now, I'm sure, over at CC's blog. She's put up some nice pictures of our "tasteful" decorations and I have to admit, it really does look nice around here. The general theme she's looking for is "expensive department store" in red and gold :-)

Yeah, it looks nice, don't get me wrong but I'm a guy. Guys have a totally different sense when it comes to these things. Granted, most of the time it's more like a LACK of sense or a very BAD sense, but I choose to label it as DIFFERENT because that's MUCH more polite :-) That's not to say that we are all bad at decorating. I'm pretty good at it myself. But I must say that guys are more likely to decorate a room purely based on just how tacky they can make it look :-)

Which brings me to the back porch :-)

I would like to preface this by saying that from the ground, our third-floor balcony porch looks pretty good actually. Things don't look over-the-top unless you're actually standing up there in the middle of everything. I'd also like to point out that even in our own building and our own apartment complex there are MUCH worse decorations out there. Besides, what I did out there yesterday I did on PURPOSE. I was TRYING to make our porch look like the most glittery thing this side of Graceland :-)

Picture a generic porch in an apartment building. Picture this in your mind because I'm not going to go out there in the cold, wet weather and take a picture for you. If you want to see this you either have to use your imagination or drag your butt on over for a visit :-)

Now, picture the porch. On either side you have sort of Greek/Roman pillars. Between those pillars there is a green, metal, iron fence. Nothing elaborate, just straight bars running up and down, about 3 feet high. Door to the apartment is on the back wall at the far left.

Wrapped around both pillars you will find VERY red tinsel. You've probably seen it at Walmart. It's RED and it's SHINY. Around and around it goes making the pillars look like giant candy canes . . . if you take off your glasses or recently got hit in the head and your vision is blurry :-)

In the middle of the fence you'll find a small wreath. Simple. Dare I say, elegant? Of course that whole image is TOTALLY thrown off by all the garland that comes flying out from behind it. Red and silver, the red being leftover from wrapping the pillars, it's flying out like wings all the way to the ends of the fence. I suppose you could say it looks a bit like bunting, but thin.

I've got another set of this stuff flying from the middle of the ceiling too, by the way, so you've got THREE runs of this stuff going across the patio. It's all VERY bright and VERY glittery and VERY Vegas baby, YEAH! :-)

Now, to set off this display, I've run a string of colored Christmas lights around the whole thing. Picture a big, multi-colored rectangle of lights. Place that big rectangle around all the shiny stuff. That's our porch :-)



Fabulously Festive :-)

No comments: