Monday, December 05, 2005

Ice, Ice Baby

Currently Reading: Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Oh yeah, we've all been there haven't we?
-----

Well I guess you could say that it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Just like the song says. It's one of those things where you have to take the good with the bad.

For example, it may LOOK really nice outside when the snow is gently drifting to the ground, covering everything in a nice, clean blanket of white. Oh yes, so very peaceful. But it's an entirely different experience when you actually have to GO somewhere in that mess. We've been lucky so far in Memphis. It hasn't been cold enough for snow. There was a very SLIM chance last night and there's another chance on Thursday but the most we'll probably get is really cold temperatures, maybe a little ice. It's the sort of thing I never used to really care about much until we moved into this third-floor apartment. Now I'm thinking about all those stairs and how easy it would be for them to ice up.

Lots of Christmas decorations around out there too. Our little suburb is one of those that likes to decorate. All the telephone poles have big wreaths on them. Scattered around town you see these HUGE nutcrackers. It's very nice to see them get into the spirit. It sort of balances out all those stories you hear in the news these days of people who sue their city to keep all of that Christmas stuff out.

I read a really funny letter to the editor online today. The person suggested that those folks who aren't christian and who don't want to celebrate Christmas, what they should do is just go to work instead of taking the holiday off. I never really thought about it but DAMN that's a pretty big double standard isn't it? The same people who complain and bitch about the holidays are the same people who are the first out of the office when their Christmas vacation starts.

I was out doing some shopping this weekend. Had to pick up few presents. We're pulling double duty this month because in addition to Christmas, we also have my sister's birthday and my mother's birthday. Actually, and I keep forgetting to mention this, but my sister really should go to Japan this time of year. Her birthday falls on The Emperor's Birthday. Betcha THEY make a big deal about the 23rd :-) My mother, she was lucky. Born one day before they bombed Pearl Harbor. Well no, make that, she was born on the 6th. She wasn't born in 1941. Point is, her birthday doesn't fall on Pearl Harbor day, which would be pretty depressing.

But I digress. I was talking about how it looks like Christmas out there. Feels like it too. I was out walking the dogs this morning, came around one of the buildings and the wind just CUT right through me. I froze. The dogs are looking back at me wondering why papa is suddenly walking like Frakenstein's monster. Wind like that, it doesn't matter what you're wearing. Whatever you wear it never seems thick enough. One thing is certain, when I walk them later tonight, I'm going to have a few more layers of clothing on.

Now that I think about it, CC's boss is having her Christmas party this Saturday. Good and bad here. On the good side, she puts on a great party. Great food, the works. She's going to have a sleigh ride (Ok, it's a pony and the sleigh is on wheels but it looks really nice) and there's going to be Santa and a gift exchange. On the downside, it means I'll have to get a haircut. Lots of hair has really helped me stay warm out there. Plus, well, it may be cold outside on Saturday. Sleigh ride might not be as fun in the cold and CC gets cold REALLY easy still. Poor thing still hasn't really gotten used to an actual winter. A few more years and maybe she'll be ok with it.

Right now the weather tells me it's sunny and 36 degrees out. You look at that, look out the window and see it and it just doesn't seem possible. It looks so nice and WARM out there. 36 degrees. Makes me cold just writing about it :-)

.

No comments: