Sunday, February 20, 2005

Busy, Busy, Busy . . . well sort of.

Currently Reading: Children of the Mind By Orson Scott Card

I had one of those weird weekends where I seem to be both busy and yet not busy at the same time. Maybe it's due to the number of things that we did vs. the amount of time spent on them? I'm not sure. I do know that I spent a good deal of time shopping :-)

Saturday started off with a minor test. Bu, our little brown dog (mentioned in CC's blog) had another vet appointment. She's been battling ear infections lately and they're being persistant. It happens. Hell it happens to me too for that matter. Anyway, during her previous appointments she's been a bit of a grumpy dog. She's been growling at the staff, at the vet, even took a few snaps and bites. They ended up having to muzzle her (which is weird because she looks like some mini-Hanibal Lecter). Anyway, I told everyone that she never does that when I take her over so that must be the problem.

I know what you're thinking, bad idea to make such a bold prediction right? Well maybe, but I like to think I know these dogs pretty well and in this case I was right. Took her over at 9 or so, she was a little nervous, a little jumpy, but she never growled at anyone, even the other dogs. Ok, she did try a few times to visit with a large cat but that's more of a cat vs dog thing.

We take her into the exam room, get her up on the table. She squirms a bit, sure. Every time a doctor shoves a big q-tip in MY ear I squirm a bit too. Of course, knowing her history they muzzled her anyway but I am happy to report that she never growled, not once. She remained more or less calm the whole time (though she clearly wanted to get out of there as soon as possible). The trick is simply to keep her from getting scared. When she feels threatened, she bites. Simple as that. I made sure she could always see me, always feel me petting her. I even went nose to nose with her and she gave me a little dog kiss (as much as she could through the muzzle).

Trip to the pet store where she was just as well-behaved as she should be (better than usual actually) then to Starbucks for some coffee for CC, chai tea latte for me, hot chocolate for mom. Home to drop off the dog and then right back out again for food shopping. See? Pretty busy right?

Well after that it sort of slows down. Spent the rest of the day reading because CC's working on a HUGE major project for the office and has to work on it all weekend. Poor thing doesn't get enough sleep when she works like this. I have to almost force her to sleep and she complains about it a little but you know, she isn't productive when she's sleepy (who is?) and her work is much better when she's rested so I make her rest.

Today, similar thing. Got up, had one HELL of a huge breakfast. Went to the INTERNATIONAL House of Pancakes (is there just a national one or a local one?) and had one of the egg and pancake combo breakfasts. Then we went over to check out this Asian/Latino farmers market that opened up. Ok, it's CALLED a farmers market but what it really is is a multi-ethnic grocery store specializing in Asian and Hispanic foods. Great place. Big. Very big and a great selection. CC's thrilled because now we'll be able to make all sorts of filipino dishes. I like it too because they have a great selection of foods from all over Asia. Of course, I could have done without seeing the sheep's heads for sale. Yes, you read that right, a sheep's head. Two of them actually, along with other various animal parts.

Home again after that and CC went back to work and I went back to reading. Quiet afternoon after a busy morning.

What I hope will happen this week is that CC will be able to finish the project she's currently working on. Wait, let me modify that. Since the project MUST be done this week, it's going to be finished one way or another. What I REALLY hope then is that she gets the project finished without completely losing her mind. I'll do the best I can to keep her going of course but there's only so much I can do. She's got a lot of work on her plate and there are only so many hours in the day. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for her and if you happen to be religious, a little prayer for her wouldn't hurt either.

1 comment:

pebbles said...

I wouldn't worry, Steve. I trust our girl to do all that's expected of her and more. She was like that in HS and I know she's still pretty much the same carefree and crazy gal I know and love. She'll have to finish it. I know she wants to keep herself busy first and foremost with YOU and not just work. ;-)