Monday, February 07, 2005

A Patriotic Super Bowl

Currently Reading: Kafka on the Shore By Haruki Murakami

Well, seeing as how I didn't have a dog in last night's fight, the Super Bowl went as well as I hoped. It was a good game, plenty of action, not too much scoring and, best of all, not a complete waste of my time :-)

Even better, I actually enjoyed the halftime show. I think they made good choice. I've never really been a big fan of taking pop music groups and giving them the halftime show. Too often their music doesn't have a broad appeal and the group breaks up a few years down the road. Better that they go with the older, more appreciated musicians. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the pre-game concert as well but I'd rather they take that risk for the early concert instead of the halftime one.

I also enjoyed watching Fox all day. One of the big problems with the Super Bowl now that it's played later at night is filling the rest of the day. When the game is on ABC or CBS they tend to fill the day with really lame chatter from their "experts." Fox had a more broad-based approach I would say. Oh yes, they started pre-game earlier than EVER before but they were good shows for the most part. I liked the whole "top ten Super Bowl moments" even if Dallas came away as the loser in the number one spot. And I got a chuckle out of The Best DARN Sports Show Period. Talk about being paranoid, did you see the moment, early in the show when the stage hand comes in and warns the guy not to say DAMN? I guess Fox was REALLY making sure they didn't have any controversy.

And so, another football season is done. Time to start getting ready for the next sport I suppose. Normally at this time I'd start watching hockey but since they're still not playing due to their lockout, I may just end up taking a break from sports until baseball season. I used to watch basketball but the games have been so boring lately, they just don't hold my interst. There aren't many TEAMS left out there these days and the few that are still around don't get much national coverage. So it's either bad basketball or nothing. I think I'll just take a break :-)

No comments: