Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Uh . . . damn. LINE!

Currently Reading: Kafka on the Shore By Haruki Murakami

We used to do that a lot in theater in high school. You'd be going along through a scene, the words just flowing out of your voice in perfect harmony with everyone else and then, while in the middle of telling Mary of Scotland why she was a tramp, you hit a snag. The words, they just don't come out and they're not GOING to come out. And so you end up saying something like, "And furthermore lady, you are . . . uh . . . are uh . . . damned and uh . . . damnit, LINE!". Such is the glamorous life in the theater :-)

What brings that to mind today is the fact that I have completely forgotten what I was originally going to blog about in the first place. I couldn't think of anything yesterday and since it was another of those gray days I figured I'd just hold off. But today, after getting the laundry going and changing the bedding I clapped my hands in evil glee like Calvin from Calving and Hobbes and said, "YES! That's what I'll blog about!" But now that I'm sitting here in front of the machine I'm drawing a complete blank.

Blank . . . bedding . . . Oh YEAH! I remember now :-)

I was going to blog about that fabulous invention the electric blanket :-) Whoever thought of this thing needs a shrine somewhere and that shrine should depict at least one person snuggled up in a nice warm bed while everyone else around them is freezing their butts off :-)

We just got our blanket back from repairs. The dog, the little cute one, decided that the plug, the end of the cord that connects to the blanket itself, was a good thing to use as a chew toy. That left us with only two options. We could replace the blanket or send it in for repairs. Simply not replacing it was NOT an option after we encountered the bliss of sliding into a nice, warm bed on a cold, cold night.

Anyway, it's back, it's working, and today it's on the bed again keeping things nice and warm. The dogs love it too in fact. You can always tell when the blanket is actually turned on because that's when the dogs shove each other aside for bed space. They all love to curl up on it, the little one especially (even though she's the one who broke it in the first place).

Naturally those of you in warmer parts of the world really can't appreciate this simple pleasure as well as the rest of us. In order to get the full experience it needs to be REALLY cold outside. Better still if there's snow or ice on the ground and it looks like Antarctica outside. That's when it's the best.

1 comment:

pebbles said...

You bet! Your very graphic account of its fabulousness made me want to get one, too, even if I would have very little use of it here in Manila... ;-)

BTW, if you get to talk to CC, please send her my warmest greetings though I did post my greeting at her blog, she might be too busy to see it. Will she be home on Valentine's? I hope so... ;-)