Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Warcraft

Currently Reading: Dune by Frank Herbert

Just a head's up for those who didn't know. I'm back to working a 5-day work week again. I have Tuesday and Wednesday off now and still getting used to that. When I'm home, I can't goof off quite as much as I used to because I have one less day to get things done. On the plus side though, I don't have to open anymore which means no more 7 am start times or waiting around for two or three hours for people to show up while wondering why on earth I woke up so early.

Unfortunately, I picked this week to start playing the online game called World of WarCraft. I'm sure you've seen it or heard about it or even played it yourself already. It's yet another in a long line of fantasy, online games where you run about cleaving monsters in two and gathering up treasure, that sort of thing. The main difference is that in this game you link up with anyone else who happens to be playing at the same time. This can come in handy as some of the tasks required of you can be a bit tricky.

Starting off though, it's not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Maybe it's because I've been playing these types of games for a LONG time but I was under the impression that, especially with the newer characters, you'd need to group together more often. So far I haven't run into any serious problems. I have died twice (which is actually kinda cool). I can't say that I've made TOO much progress though because I can't really decide what I like to do yet while I'm in there. It all depends on my mood.

You see, you have the world broken down into two sides, the Alliance and the Hoard. All your classic good guys are with the Alliance, your dwarves, elves, humans, etc while all your bad guys are with the Hoard, including minotaurs, undead, orcs, etc. When I started out, I did what I usually do with games like this, I picked a warrior type, which is usually the easiest in any game to play. Your mission, run forward. Hit things until they stop moving. Remove treasure. Repeat. You can generally get a good feel of the game that way, how the monsters move, basic strategies, that sort of thing.

Ok I've done that. I had my dwarf out there bashing the hell out of things (which is a great little stress reliever let me tell you). Then I figured I'd try out some of the cooler classes like the druid (which can shape shift) and the warlock (which can summon imps and demons). Granted blowing things up from afar isn't quite as fun as running in there and bashing away but it's still good. Besides, you actually have to come up with a strategy before you start fighting things otherwise the critters will overwhelm you.

So where are we now? I've got 5 characters all of which at about the same stage of their career, all different races. I just bounce back and forth between them depending on what I'm in the mood for.

One thing's for sure, I'm glad I waited until now to start playing this game. You see, they've already come out with one expansion set for it and they're due to come out with another one soon which means there aren't very many people playing the basic game like I am. Also, I can see where playing this game can REALLY make the day just disappear down a hole of lost time. There are so many little quests you can do and skills to raise. You really can get caught up in it.

None of this is all that interesting to CC. She told me earlier that she prefers the "doll house" type of games, like The Sims. I told her that it's sort of like The Sims. Just imagine The Sims, but with killing :-)

No comments: