Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Warcraft, Part 2

Currently Reading: Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

As I mentioned last week, I've been playing World of Warcraft so there's no news there. What IS news is that CC has now started playing as well. She read last week's blog entry about the game and decided she'd try it out for herself. I woke up one morning as she was slipping back into bed grumbling, "stupid graveyard." The graveyard, you see, is where you go when you die. You then have two options. You can walk back (as a ghost) to your corpse and come back to life or you can pay the spirit healer to resurrect you at the graveyard.

That morning, I spent a bit of time teaching CC the basics of the game along with some basic techniques for online and fantasy games in general and she was back at it again. A few days later she had her OWN 10 day trial account so we could play TOGETHER. A few days after that she's signed up for her own FULL account and is now has a higher level character than I have.

She's now playing Warcraft the same way she plays The Sims. Her usual pattern is to play a game until she's reached all the goals or gotten her character to the maximum level. I imagine she'll do the same here. She'll keep at it until she reaches level 70 or nearly so. What she'll do after that is anyone's guess. There's one expansion set for the game out already and another one due to be released this summer. Also, there are 8 races and quite a few different hero types you can pick from. She's a hunter now but who's to say she won't max that out and then start over with a new character as a mage or a rogue? We'll just have to wait and see.

We've been having a lot of fun with this game though. She logs in from her laptop, about 5 feet away, and I log in from my machine and we meet up in the game world and go on a quest, which usually means a killing spree of some sort.

I'd LIKE to tell you that I've got a whole lot of interesting stories from the week but I'd be lying. This past week all we've really done is work and play Warcraft to unwind. CC logs more hours in the game than I do though. I like to read before bed so I play the game for a little while then do some reading and that's that.

Hopefully I'll have some better stories next time :-)

No comments: