Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bad Omens

Just Finished Reading: The Rosetta Codex by Richard Paul Russo

Before I begin today's entry, how cool is this?



That's the Prime Minister of Japan along with Pricilla Presley, Lisa Marie and, of course, W. They were all at Graceland on Friday for a special tour. The Japanese Prime Minister, Junichiro Koizumi is a HUGE Elvis fan so when he came over for a visit, they flew down to tour Graceland. Nice of Pricilla and Lisa Marie to join them. Then again, how often do they get a chance to hang out with the leaders of TWO countries like that?

In case you're wondering, yes they did go to the Civil Rights museum, which is also here in Memphis but let's face it, the place is depressing. The whole thing is housed in the hotel where Martin Luther King was assassinated. Mostly politicians walk through the place looking somber. Someone snaps a few pictures of said politician in deep though. After the tour they say something about how moved they were, etc.

This shot of them all at Graceland is just a nice change. For once, visitors to Memphis actually look HAPPY :-)

-----

Bad omens last night. I don't know what was going on but I certainly seemed to be under a minor voodoo curse or something like that. Started off with me mixing not one, not two, but THREE gallons of the wrong shampoo. Grabbed the wrong bottle out of the cabinet and ended up making three gallons of sensitive skin shampoo for dogs instead of medicated shampoo. Is this a big difference? Oh yeah, you bet it is. Fortunately I was able to save it so it isn't like we have a big loss. But on the other hand we've got a 6 month supply of sensitive skin shampoo pre-mixed.

Later that night I was trimming the nails on a dog and I nicked its quick THREE times. Honestly I may do that three times in a MONTH and here I did it three times in one day on the SAME DOG! What makes it even worse is that the dog wasn't even a squirmer. He mostly sat there and was very patient with me. Again, plus side here. He didn't seem to mind it much which means I didn't cut it DEEP or anything. It didn't hurt him and there won't be any lasting health problems. But still, THREE times?

I knew it was time to throw in the towel when I ran into bad omen number 3. I was heading into the bathroom at work when I noticed something on the floor. I just looked at it, shook my head and walked out. I went over to one of the supervisors and said, "Rich, there's a snake in the bathroom." He looks at me and asks, "Seriously?"

That's right, snake in the bathroom. Seems our corn snake decided he didn't want to hang out in his enclosure anymore and he mounted an escape. Managed to somehow sneak out through the hole where his heater and water sprayer come in. How he managed to push it open is anyone's guess. Something must have knocked it loose. Anyway, he made it out of his tank, down to the floor (about 2 feet) then from the reptiles section over to the bathroom (a good 30 feet with two corners and a door). My guess is that he was following the crickets. We've always got crickets in the bathroom because they keep a steady supply on hand in the infirmary, which is across the hall.

Something like that happens, that's a message that it's time to go home.

After we caught the snake, one of the clerks on duty said to me, "Well, at least you found it BEFORE you started going to the bathroom right?"

Well . . . yeah, I guess she's right about that :-)

.

No comments: