Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Weekend Shopping

Currently Reading: Pinball 1973 by Haruki Murakami

Been out shopping this weekend. And while I managed to spend a decent amount of money, I also managed to save a little money and I really only bought stuff I was planning on getting eventually anyway.

Sunday I bought a new radio for the truck. I've had the truck for over 10 years now and all that time it's only had an AM/FM radio. No tape, no CD. When I first got the truck all those years ago there really wasn't any NEED for anything other than a radio. I spent most of the time listening to talk radio or one of the 70's and 80's stations so why bother right? And it's not like I was planning to take the truck out on any long road trips either. That all changed when I moved to Memphis.

You know, for a city that prides itself on being so music-oriented, there isn't squat available on the radio. Most of the stations either play hip-hop or rap. There's all of ONE oldies station and they can't seem to decide just what counts as old. It's not unusual to hear stuff from the 50's clean up through to the late 80's. Mixed together like that, it just doesn't work well. There's also a classic rock station but mostly they play rock songs you didn't like very much back when they were fresh.

I had intented to replace the stereo in the truck not long after I got here but I just didn't have the money at first. Then I forgot about it. Then it wasn't a priority because I didn't drive much.

Why the sudden change? Sick of listening to the babbling of the local dj's and horrible commercials only to hear a good song start to play right as I pull in to wherever I was going. Talk about frustrating. Well, no more of that. Sunday I bought a new stereo/cd player and had it installed so I didn't have to mess with all the wires. Driving around is a whole lot better now :-)

-----

CC came home for lunch today which meant I got the truck this afternoon. I took the scenic route home from her office which meant I pretty much went the opposite direction from the apartment and went to the mall instead. Well hey, I had to test the new radio right?

Wandered around the mall a bit. Found a great t-shirt for CC so I bought that for her. She loved it which made me happy. I also picked up three pair of pants. We're allowed to wear black, blue or khaki pants at work you see but I never had any luck finding black or blue pants that actually FIT so I ended up with a closet full of khaki. Went over to Sears and found what I was looking for. Now I can shake things up a little bit by showing up in blue or black. Yeah, real party animal I am eh? I sure do live on the edge :-)

Heading to bed now. No doubt there'll be lots of dogs waiting for me to wash them tomorrow. I'll wear one of my new pairs of pants. On the way to the store, I'll listen to a CD too. I paid for all this stuff, I'm going to get my money's worth :-)

.

No comments: