Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Getting Closer

Currently Reading: Pinball 1973 by Haruki Murakami

Today I moved a step closer to becoming a dog groomer. Today I was trained and granted permission to shave canine genitalia. That's a fancy way of saying I can now shave dog balls :-)

The proper term for it around the salon is a sanitary trim. You use clippers and shave the hair around, well, the genitalia, the belly, the butt and the bottoms of the feet; all the places doggies get dirty really fast.

What does this mean in the grand scheme of things? Well, it means I can take care of a LOT more dogs than I used to. There are quite a few breeds that really only need the sanitary cut and there are quite a few owners who actually LIKE their dogs to have long hair. They just don't like picking poo out of it. Thus, the sanitary cut.

At this rate, by the time I actually go to grooming school I'll already be familiar with using clippers and handling dogs during a cut which will make things just that much easier :-)

.

No comments: