Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Fixing CC; More Work Stress; Super Heroes; Fixing C:

Currently Reading: The Rosetta Codex by Richard Paul Russo

Here we are at the end of another weekend. Since CC hasn't posted anything since her last item about being grumpy during the ballroom dance party, I'll give you a brief idea of what happened the next morning . . .

When I woke up on Sunday, slept in, it was very nice, I found CC on the sofa just laying there all blah. I figured she was tired, maybe had allergy problems or something. I took the dogs out for their walk, had breakfast, my usual morning stuff, and still she was blah. Well now you KNOW I just couldn't leave it at THAT right?

Sat down with her on the sofa, tried to cheer her up a bit but didn't have any luck. She was just so down with everything. I guess she was in one of those moods where nothing seems to be working right. We've all been there. Still, there's nothing that says I have to just LET her stay that way. Ignoring this stuff doesn't make it go away. So what I did first off was tell her that at noon were were going out and she'd better be dressed by then. She'd look pretty strange going out dressed in her fluffy pink bath robe :-)

It being Father's Day and us having a present for my father, that's where I started. I figured getting her out of the house would help out a LOT and my family just ADORES her so all that positive energy had to be good. And it was :-) By the time we were finished there, she was already in much better spirits.

As we drove out of the neighborhood I suggested we go to the mall. She agreed but didn't want to go to the mall we usually go to. That's bad because there are only 4 malls in this city worth anything and two of them aren't all that safe. The third is downtown and the 4th, well that's the one we always go to. I suggested this new shopping center that was built not too far from my parents' house. It's not really a mall. It's an outdoor mall I guess you'd say. Imagine a series of strip malls but all set up in the general configuration of a normal mall. You've got end stores, all your usual mall shops, even a central courtyard area but there's no roof and if you're really lazy you can just drive to wherever you want to shop.

Anyway, that's where we went. Her first thought was to get ice cream so we did that. Good ice cream too. Then we went into the World Market store. If you don't have one of those in your area, it's like Pier One. While browsing there, CC saw these red cherry blossoms. Dried flowers of course. Maybe 2 minutes later her eyes get all big and excited and she announces that she's going to redo the entire bathroom based on the inspiration she received from these flowers. A few hours later we had new rugs, new shower curtain, little baskets to put things in, the works.

About an hour or so after we got home we had one kick-ass bathroom :-)

I had a shower and we went out to eat. Needless to say CC had totally shaken her grumpy mood and was at peace with things again :-)

Some people might think that it was the shopping that did it. A lot of people shop when they're down and they feel better afterward. But in this case I think it was more of a control issue. She's been pretty stressed out at work and had a general feeling that she couldn't do anything about it. Saturday night at the ballroom party she kept trying to control ME and got frustrated when I forgot dance steps. But Sunday, once she saw those flowers and had her vision, that was something she could control. It was something she could take charge of, mold to fit what she wanted. Ok and maybe the shopping part too, but I think mostly she just needed to finish a project on her own. She'll have pictures on her site soon, don't you worry. :-)

-----

Speaking of work and stress, we've got another guy out on leave for a while. Medical thing. That's going to leave us short handed in the salon yet again. Honestly, just when things get back to normal again something comes along to mix it all up.

This really isn't going to change my week very much. I was already working a nearly full schedule so there wasn't much room to play with in my case. They just tacked on a few more hours to cover a gap. The other bather is going to get her wish though. She'll be working a 40 hour week too. Things will be a little tight there for a few days but eventually we'll settle into a pattern and get through it. We're very good about that. It just takes some time to adjust. So, you know the drill, if I'm all stressed out and bitchy over the next week or so, don't take it personal. It's just me, working my bear butt off :-)

-----

If you're the type that reads comics and you like Captain America, get a copy of the Winter Soldier books. Great storyline there. Not going to tell you the plot but I can say that it's one of the best Cap stories in a LONG time. Wouldn't mind seeing parts of that worked into a movie.

Speaking of super heroes, want to know one of the main differences between Marvel and DC? Capes. Yup, that's a big one. Marvel super heroes generally don't wear capes and the few that do tend to wear little half-capes that don't get in the way of fighting. Makes sense when you think about it, not wearing a cape. I mean, with all that flying around on wires that Batman does, shouldn't his cape get all tangled in the ropes? And given how fast Superman flies, wouldn't his cape have nasty tatters on the end?

-----

Did some drive optimization the past few days. My C drive is old. Came with the computer. It's only 11 gig. Yeah, I know, ONLY 11 gig. We old folk remember when a 10 MEG hard drive was HUGE. Anyway, Windows likes to have as much free space as possible on it's main drive and mine was all cluttered. I removed Office, Front Page, Photoshop and Norton from the C drive and put them on D. Ah, D drive, I love that thing. 111 gig. After today's installations, still have 92 gig free. Lots of space. And C drive now has over a gig free as well which gives Windows room to spread out a little more. My machine is running better . . . so naturally I won't have much time to USE it until Sunday. Ain't that always the way :-)

.

No comments: