Friday, January 21, 2005

Found In Omaha

Currently Reading: Man in the Iron Mask By Alexandre Dumas

Well, that didn't take long. In less than the time it took me to write the previous entry, CC found her way to the hotel. See? I told you Omaha wasn't big enough to stay lost in for very long.

The problem, as it turned out, wasn't with the signs so much as with the directions that Yahoo Maps generated for her. I've had problems with them myself. They sometimes give you the impression that a turn or an exit is much further away than it really is. In this case, since CC was looking at the step by step directions and not the overall map of the trip, she ended up taking the right exit by accident but THOUGHT she'd missed it. That got her a little confused. She told me on the phone, "I didn't see the exit so I didn't make any turns." I'd have to see the route in person but I suspect it's one of those vague exits where you just sort of drift off in a different direction.

And so we begin about 3 weeks of sensory deprivation. When CC's not here I don't really do much. I don't go out. When I stay in, I'm not very sociable. My family doesn't enjoy coversation very much which makes things generally quiet around here. True, Sunday we're going out to see my niece play at a concert downtown but I don't expect there to be much chat along the way. We'll all get there, wander around a bit, find our seats and listen. Then afterwards, we'll come home and each go into separate rooms and that will be that.

Three weeks I'll be like this, so feel free to drop me a line. It'll give me something to do :-)

2 comments:

pebbles said...

Awww, Steve! I can really see you'll miss her. :-) Look at it this way, at least she's only a few (?) states away unlike before when she was thousands of miles away. Besides, those three weeks will just fly by like the wind. I'm sure, too, that she'll be online constantly. :-)

Bear America said...

That's actually very true. In fact, we've spent quite a lot of time on the phone already.