Monday, April 17, 2006

Batting Practice; One More Normal Week

Currently Reading: Cell by Stephen King

In a rather surprising move this weekend, CC said she wanted to go visit a batting cage. She's not really known for being much of a sports fan. Usually she puts up with it for my sake :-) But Saturday she decided that it looked really nice out there, good for baseball, and that she wanted to go to a batting cage.

Unfortunately, I work on Saturdays so we couldn't go but Sunday I was off so we decided to do it then. We looked up a few places online, knew where we were going, and had our plans all set. But before leaving, I wanted to make sure she wasn't going to hide from the ball when it got shot out of the pitching machine. That would end our fun pretty quick. We went downstairs and out to one of the nearby fields to play catch. I figured that if she had a hard time dealing with something that was lobbed at her, we'd better start with something slower than your usual batting practice.

I am pleased to report that she held up like a trouper. No problem catching the ball, though she did occasionally catch it with the wrong part of the glove a few times and hurt her hand a little. That happens though. You catch that thing wrong, it hits the bones just below your fingers and that STINGS.

Anyway, she did great with the catching so off we went to the batting cage. That's when we ran into the reality of Easter. Easter is one of those odd holidays when you're not really sure what's open. Most places are closed and that's pretty obvious when you're driving around but there are still a LOT of things that are open. At work, for example, we were the only store in our little mini-mall that was open. The parking lot was TOTALLY empty except for the cars of the workers. Anyone driving by would probably think we were closed too. So naturally when we got to the batting cage place, it was closed.

Not to worry, I had a back-up plan. That plan was Walmart. Yes, we went over to Walmart and got a bat (a nice, light, aluminum bat cause CC isn't ready for my heavier, wood bat) and a bag of baseballs. We also got a tee to hit from. We drove over to one of the parks (Germantown has a LOT of parks) and were just setting things up on one of the empty baseball fiends when CC noticed there was an empty batting cage on the other side of the concessions stand. So, we went over there, set the tee up in the cage and let the balls fly.

CC now has a LOT more respect for pro baseball players. She knows how hard it is to hit a baseball. Hell there were even a few funny moments when she missed the baseball on the TEE. That's right, missed the ball that wasn't even moving :-)

After a few rounds using the tee, I asked her if she wanted to try some moving targets. She said yes so we took turns pitching. They had a pitching screen to stand behind so you didn't have to worry about getting hit, which is good because a few of those balls she hit would have smacked me right in the chest. :-)

We kept on taking turns hitting until we were both tired, the packed it all up and came home. After a shower it was time to nap on the balcony in the nice breeze that was blowing. A good, relaxing Sunday if you ask me :-)

-----

One more normal week for me. Yes, that's right, this is my last 2 day weekend. I'll be happy to be rid of them :-) I got used to having the nice, 3 day weekends. That allowed me to get more done. Even if something came up on Sunday and I spent all day Monday doing housework, that still left me with one more day to rest up and do whatever I had planned for myself. But with the 2 day weekend, can't do it. Best bet is to pack as much into Sunday as possible so Monday is less hectic. So really, when you get right down to it, it's not working 5 days a week that bothers me. That wasn't so bad. What I don't like is only having 2 days off. Hmm, maybe if we went to an 8 day week, that might do it :-)

.

No comments: