Thursday, January 05, 2006

First Day Off; The Job Market

Currently Reading: I, Claudius by Robert Graves

Well, yesterday I finished my first day off after working 6 days in a row and I must say that it was mostly a failure. How can one fail at having a day off? Simple: do too much work.

At least half of what I do every day at work is cleaning up. I'm not talking about the actual dog washing, I'm talking about cleaning up the tub, the walls, the floors, all the places where the dog hair flies when the dogs shake. So, what do I do with my first little bit of free time yesterday morning after breakfast? Why, I tidy up the living room of course

Oh but it doesn't stop there; no it sure doesn't. I continued to use my free time yesterday to gather up the trash and take it out, to tidy up the dining room and even a little bit of cleaning in the bedroom. In fact, the only place I DIDN'T clean was the bathroom. This on my day off? That's not healthy.

I got a little better as the day went on. CC and I went out to lunch :-) We went over to Bombay House again. She had the buffet, I had chicken tikka. That stuff was FANTASTIC! We're going to have to add them to our regular list of places to eat. I thought it was a bit funny though, all of our current "places to eat" are Asian. We've got a Japanese place for sushi, a Chinese place, two actually, and now Indian. I think we've got that part of the globe covered. Now we need to work on Europe :-)

After lunch, I dropped CC off at her office then I browsed the book store for a little while and came home. Didn't do much of anything for the rest of the day. See? I got the hang of it :-)

-----

Isn't this just the way it happens? I took the job at the pet store last week, partly because, let's face it, they were the only ones who called me back after putting in an application. I just figured all the other places I applied to weren't interested . . . until last night.

CC and I were sitting on the sofa, watching TV, nothing special, when the phone rings. It's Barnes & Noble wanting me to come in for an interview. Oh MAN! That was really my first choice, to work in a book store. But what can I say? I took the Petco job already and it would bge REALLY rude to pack up and jump ship after a week or two, especially since there isn't anything wrong with the Petco job.

Granted, you could always say that they were just calling me in for an INTERVIEW. I didn't have the actual job, but I know how retail places work. They don't usually call you back in for an interview if they aren't already pretty sure they want to hire you. I probably could have had that job. Ah well. I told the woman on the phone that I'd taken another job already but if things didn't work out, I'd put in another application.

Well, at least I'm in demand. That's pretty good for the ego :-)

.

No comments: