Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Sick Days

Currently Reading: Shadow Puppets by Orson Scott Card

I hate sick days. I suppose everyone does but that hardly makes the experience any better. Being sick is one of those situations where misery does NOT love company. In fact, most people in my family prefer to just dig in somewhere hidden and not bother with anything public until they get better. It's also difficult to get sympathy out of them because no matter HOW sick you may be at any given point, rest assured one of them has been MUCH worse and lived to tell you about it over and over.

"Yeah, I'm down with the flu. Fever at 102, can't keep anything down. Just laying here drinking water and waiting for it to play out." Now, you say something like that to most people and they'll reply something like, "Aww man that sucks, you poor thing. Anything I can do for ya? You want me to refresh that glass of gatorade or grab a magazine for ya?" But in my family it's more like, "Just the flu? Oh well you're getting off lucky! I remember one time I got sick with the flu, had a fever of 117. I couldn't eat or drink for 3 weeks and when I did it came right back out. I had body aches for 2 months after that and the doctor said I was damn lucky I didn't suffer brain damage."

Mmhmm. Makes it tough to be sick. I guess you'd file that under one of the perks of moving into the new apartment. When I get sick now, the only ones here are my lovely wife and my faithful pets. I get plenty of sypathy from CC. She's really super at that. And the dogs, well they do their part too. They pitch in by cleaning up any bits of food that I may have left unattended around the house. No really, they're just trying to make sure we don't get roaches :-)

The timing of this was rather interesting too. Last night CC worked overnight. She went in at 7 and worked until 7 this morning. Such a trouper that one. She got NO sleep last night and I guess in a sort of weird sympathetic reaction, neither did I :-) Well no, that's not QUITE true. I got about an hour.

So there we were this morning, both of us, laying in bed, sleeping it off.

Now, even though I was sick, I DID manage to do a few productive things. Got that laundry done and the ironing too. Can't send my wife off to work in wrinkled clothes ya know. She's got to look pretty when she teaches :-)

Safe to say I'll be having something light tonight. Maybe some soup. Soup sounds good. Don't want to push myself yet. Soup and bread. Simple. It'll give me enough energy to get through the night and hopefully tomorrow I'll be all better.

No comments: