Saturday, July 02, 2005

Episode VI: The Return of the Bear

Currently Reading: Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card

Ok, so I borrowed the title idea from George Lucas. He's got too much money to bother with a lawsuit over something like that :-)

Yes, I've been away from the blog for a while. Do I have a good reason? Well, no, not really. It's been rather odd this week. You see, I haven't much been in the mood for writing . . . anything! Not just the blog but also e-mail as well. Right now, all around the world, people to whom I owe letters are nodding their heads. Yes, I know, I haven't written and I am sorry. I still have the letters though and I WILL answer them . . . soon :-)

The apartment is shaping up nicely as I'm sure you've all seen over at CC's site. No need for me to go into details about that. We've still got a LOT of work to do but mostly it's a large collection of little things. We need things on the walls.

Currently we're trying to decide what to hang over the fireplace. It's a HUGE area given that the ceilings in the room are 12 feet high and the fireplace is about 5 feet scross. That's a lot of white space. We were thinking framed mirror but now we're leaning more towards framed prints.

Tuesday we did something that I've been looking forward to since last year: we attended a Drum Corps International show. If you don't know what DCI is, it's a collection of marching bands, only brass and percussion though, no woodwinds. The music they play is excellent and they march wonderfully. They're also supported by a talented (usually) colorguard that twirls flags, rifles, sabres, you name it. It's great entertainment, especially if you ever did time in a marching band in high school.


The Cavaliers: 06-08-05 Toledo, OH

The winners of this particular contest were The Cavaliers. I've enjoyed their work ever since my first DCI show back when I was 11 or 12. We even managed to trek out to Atlanta one summer to see the finals. What a great time we had too.

The other big news for the week is the addition of a wireless router for our home network. Oh we are both thrilled with THIS wonderful piece of equipment. Having a wireless router means different things to CC and I. To me it means I no longer have to share the modem and by that I mean switching the cables from her machine to mine. We can now both surf at the same time, no problem. It also means I can access the Internet with my PDA should I decide I want to check mail from the sofa or maybe do a little browsing. For CC, it means a WHOLE lot more. Her laptop has a wireless card in it so right now she can access the Internet from any room in the apartment, including from the balcony. For the past few days she's been doing HER work from the comfy chair over by the sofa. Yes, we are just LOVING it.

Three day weekend for us so that means visits to the family. Might not get to blog again until Tuesday.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments: