Thursday, May 08, 2008

Summer Vacation

Currently Reading: Red Planet by Robert A. Heinlein

For some reason I tend to spend my summer months in space. It starts somewhere in mid to late spring. I just get bored with books based here on earth and need to reach for the stars I guess. Even a good fantasy doesn't do it. Yeah, sure there's nothing really Earthly about say, The Hobbit. You only have a handful of humans in the book and there are plenty of foreign races around but it's still pretty much Earth.

What's weird is that even if the story is a carbon copy of something that takes place here planetside every day, so long as it's out there in space or on ANOTHER planet, so long as there are space ships and lots of high tech stuff (even if it's stuff that isn't high tech now because the book was written in the 50's) I'm a happy camper. So we're going back to space for a little while. If you need me, I'll be on Mars.

And speaking of summer, our summer at work is going to be interesting to say the least. You already know that we're training people for the new store opening up down the road, I mentioned that in an earlier entry. Last week we were informed that our current salon manager was going to be transferred to that store and the trainee would take over at OUR store as manager (needless to say no one was thrilled with that idea). Our current STORE manager was also supposed to move to the new store as well. Everyone was pretty much just getting used to the idea of new managers and so forth when on Monday, corporate decided to change their minds and go in a totally different direction. Now the trainee manager will go to the new store and our current managers will stay.

Seems pretty simple right? No changes probably. Well, probably not. See, with both the store and salon managers staying, that increases the likelihood that those of us a few rungs lower might get transferred. They'll need a few experienced assistant managers at that new store so we may have to give up one of ours. They'll certainly need an experienced groomer or two over there for their salon and right now, well that just means me at our store. No one has asked/told me that I'm going of course. This is just me thinking out loud (or in this case, online). It's also entirely possible that since we're the ones training the salon people, they'll pull a few people from one of the other salons. One store in particular is rather over-staffed with groomers and could easily afford to lose a few.

Personally, I'd rather stay at my current store. I'm FINALLY getting my own little fan club of regular customers after a year or so of grooming. People are actually requesting ME for a change and telling their friends to come see me. I'd hate to mess that up by having to change stores. Unfortunately I wouldn't really have much of a choice. In cases like this, you either go or you find another company to work for. They're very heavy-handed on this issue. We're a little like the military in that sense. We go where they tell us. Have scissors, will travel.

We're also doing a bit of travel this summer. One trip for certain is the wedding trip in August. One of our friends in Manila is getting married (FINALLY!) so we're going to that. We've got it planned out and all already and unless something dramatic happens, the trip is on. This will be my third trip to the Philippines, in case anyone is keeping score. It'll also mean that I'll have something to blog about in August :-)

I've finally gotten my Facebook page set up. Facebook is one of those sites like Myspace.com where you have a template that you fill out about yourself, your interests, little games and things, and you link up with all your friends and family so everyone knows where you are and what you're up to. It's not very complicated if you've grown up around the Internet like most kids today but it can be a little challenging for the older folks who still aren't sure what all this web surfing stuff is all about. Over on my Facebook page, well there isn't all that much to it. There isn't that much to ANY of them. It's just a place to post pictures and bulletins. I DO have a page over on Myspace.com as well but I'm not really doing anything with it. From time to time I find out that someone famous also has a Myspace page so I'll go add them to my friends list but that's it. For some reason it just doesn't interest me as much.

No comments: