Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Late-Night Double-Feature Picture Show

Currently Reading: Hear The Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami

Check it out! Got the dining room pictures set up finally. We got frames this weekend and I had the time this morning so here it is.

You've got Curse of the Golden Flower over on the left and Memoirs of a Geisha on the right. Down the middle there are autographed pictures of Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li and Chow Yun Fat. Unfortunately, the glare from the window in the living room makes it hard to take a good picture of it all. Maybe after sundown I can get something but I think then I'll be getting glare from the dining room light. It's something you'll just have to see in person.

Made it through my first week of grooming school just fine. We're still waiting for the books to arrive though. We've gotten approval and all that and the district office has sent out an e-mail telling everyone that the books are on the way but as of Saturday morning we still hadn't received them. According to the overall plan, I'm supposed to have about four weeks of book work, that is, work based on what's in those books. This makes it a little tricky to move forward. So, rather than just sitting around, I've been learning some of the more general aspects of the job, things that we KNOW will be in the book. Friday, for example, I shaved the feet and half the body of a poodle. It's not nearly as complicated as it looks. I even made the pom poms on two of the legs. Mostly it just takes practice.

I was able to adjust to the morning schedule just fine, by the way. The only problem I'm having now is this daily sensation that time has either slowed down to a crawl or stopped entirely. Every day except Saturday (we were busy Saturday) I looked up at the clock at least once and said, "Aw crap it's only X am?" In fact, I did that Monday too. So while I may have adjusted my sleep schedule just fine, I'm still adjusting to the different hours.


Saw the Oscar nominations this morning. Goodness it's as bad as last year. Haven't seen any of those movies. In fact, only a few of them have even played here yet and the ones that did, well I think only The Departed managed to stay in theaters long enough for anyone to really see. I just wasn't all that interested in seeing it.

So, unless all of these films suddenly show up on HBO or something I probably won't bother to watch the Oscars again this year. Maybe I'll catch some of the red carpet arrivals just to see what kind of freaky clothes people are wearing but that's about it.


You know what I noticed the other day? Over in the UK they get better books than we do. Wait, let me rephrase that. They get the same books but they're published MUCH better. The cover art is different and the bindings look a bit better. I've noticed they have a larger selection of autographed editions and special editions. I was doing a search on eBay and came up with all SORTS of really interesting book items. Naturally these were all way out of my price range. I jsut don't have 200 dollars to spend on a 130 page book that's now out of print no matter WHO wrote it :-) It's not even autographed.

Ran across some clips from The Rocky Horror Picture Show over on youtube.com yesterday. I was just over there browsing and up popped a link to the Time Warp clip. Started looking for more clips after that and next thing you know I'm over at Best Buy picking up a copy. It's been years since I've seen it. It's just as awful as I remember. Tim Curry is WAY over the top. But you know, the songs still stick in your head (which is both good and bad depending on which song gets stuck). I haven't shown it to CC yet. Last night I watched the movie with the "audience participation" audio track. It's pretty good. There are also some alternate video sequences where you can see what it would look like watching the movie during a showing in an actual theater. You get to see the audience and the performers as well as the movie. It'll be an interesting experience for her that's for sure.

I saw over on her site she'd mentioned that no one in town is showing it. That's probably a good thing. Rocky Horror in person is something best left to younger people. It looks very odd to see folks 35+ all dressed up in character in the theater. Sort of like that weird cringing feeling you get seeing a 40 year old man dressed as a Vulcan at a Star Trek convention.

CC's birthday is on February 1st, by the way. That's next Thursday. If you were intending to get her a present, you've only got a week and a half left :-) Not sure what we're going to do though. I mean, do we celebrate on the 28th or the week after that? Probably the 28th. Don't want to get in the way of the Super Bowl on the 4th. It's not fair to the Super Bowl :-)

No comments: