Thursday, September 18, 2008

Manila 2008 Part 3: Origami

Currently Reading: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

Well, once again I've had a rather slow, uneventful week. Fortunately I still have one more little story left from my vacation.

On the way back from the Philippines, we had a 3 hour layover in Tokyo. We killed some time in the lounge and did some shopping (probably spent as much at the airport as we did our entire stay in Manila). At one point CC suggested we find a hand cart so we wouldn't have to lug the carry-ons around so we started to explore the airport. We came across a little shop that sells candy and origami supplies. The origami side was set up a bit like a gallery and they had these HUGE displays of things people had made. REALLY cool stuff.

Oh but that's not all. Oh no. In addition to animals and little people, they had some really nice scenes done entirely in origami. I have NO idea how long it took them to do these but they must have taken forever. Naturally you can't touch them, but you can look really close and you can see all the detail that went into each little piece.

I've put up a gallery of pictures from that shop. You can see them here. It's amazing what they can do with just folded paper.

Here are a few other shots.










For more information about origami, have a look at this video. Sorry it's a little blurry. It was the only version I could find with subtitles.



Ok, yeah, that was just for fun. It's from a series done by a Japanese comedy troupe that makes spoof videos on all sorts of Japanese traditions. I thought I'd close with something fun.

No comments: