Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Baseball, Bunnies and Baseball

Currently Reading: Tai-Pan by James Clavell

Well, it's been a few weeks since I've sat down to blog so there's quite a lot of ground to cover. The sad part is that it took me two or three weeks to have enough for one blog entry. But not to worry, enough has happened now so I can finally pass on some good stories.

First up, baseball! CC and I went to see the Redbirds play last week. It was a WONDERFUL day out. The high was probably 70 to 75 tops, in the sun. We had great seats and plenty of food. This was one of those vendor deals where a vendor to CC's company rents a block of seats and some patio space and they have a catered lunch (baseball food not snooty people food) and you get to see the game as well. Unfortunately we didn't WIN the game, which is pretty normal for me actually. I've seen maybe 4 games now and I don't think I've ever actually seen them WIN. I must be some sort of jinx. We still support the team anyway. CC and I both got shirts. I also got a hat and she picked up a bag.

Monday is the day we get new stuff at the store. There's always a big truck and quite often some smaller ones or FedEx or UPS or DHL trucks that arrive too. The last two Mondays we've been getting a lot of BUNNIES! It's hard not to get warm fuzzies when you're holding a bunny. I mean, it's a BUNNY! It's sort of like, you can't NOT have fun playing with PUPPIES! Right? That's some kind of universal I think.

We've been getting some really CUTE ones lately. This guy here, fluffy, furry, brown bunny. He lasted about 4 days before someone bought him. He hardly even had time to get used to the place. And then there's this little guy here with the brown eyes. He was around for about a week, tops.

When they all first arrived there was some serious stress in the cage though. Our current guests weren't all that thrilled about having to share with three NEW guests. Since it was a slow day in the salon and they were a little short handed in the store, I played the part of bunny bouncer. Actually it was more than that. Earlier in the day I had to stop a fight between two hamsters who had apparently grown sick of each other during the long trip from wherever they came from. They were still in their little hamster shipping box when they started swatting at each other. I had to step in and put a stop to that.

Then we had this one here. I know what you're thinking. Just a harmless little bunny isn't it? But I'm telling you, that's the most foul-tempered rodent you ever laid EYES on. It's got a mean streak about a mile wide! It can leap about . . . Sorry, got off on a little Monty Python tangent there. Anyway, this one is, well evil seems a little TOO strong but then again at the same time I had to serve as bunny bouncer mostly BECAUSE of this one. She just wouldn't play nice with the other bunnies and for a while there we were thinking she'd have to be separated. She calmed down eventually though and decided to tolerate the other bunnies. That didn't improve her mood any though. I heard yesterday that this supposedly cute, sweet little bunny took a chunk out of Tanya's finger while she was cleaning the cage the other day.

Now that I think about it, she might be related to THIS rabbit.




Had a pretty busy Sunday this week though not really by choice. The other groomer seems to have over-estimated just how many dogs I can handle in one shift. Now, Sunday is a short day for me. I get there at 1 and I'm off at 6. Five hours. If the dogs are small, I can handle five or 6 depending on what kind of hairstyle they want. More if I'm doing just baths or shape-ups instead of the full shave. This week though, I had four, count them FOUR chows to shave out plus a bichon. Keep in mind these chows haven't been clipped since last fall and we're now smack in the middle of the heavy shedding season. It's more like shaving sheep than a dog really.

Needless to say I ran a little late. The last two I had to do in near dark. The lights in the salon shut off at 6 and there's no way to turn them back on (it's all computer controlled out in San Diego). It wasn't TOO bad at first because the lights were on in the store but then THOSE lights shut off at 7. I must be getting pretty decent at this job because I was able to shave out a black chow in the dark :-)


One last thing . . .



For some reason this song popped into my head Sunday night so I spent a little time on Monday digging up this video.

No comments: