Friday, January 11, 2008

The 7-Day Work Week

Currently Reading: Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Well now that was one LONG work week. I haven't had to do anything like that in a LONG time. You see, my boss, the salon manager, wanted to take a few days off. Fine, no problem there. I was supposed to shift my days off over by a day and that was it. Simple right? Pick up one extra day here, take off one extra day on the other end. Like anything in MY universe is simple.

My boss, poor woman, is cursed, I swear. If anything bad can possibly happen, it's going to happen to her or to someone in her immediate family. This week she's been living in a soap opera. I won't go into details here but rest assured she's been through a lot.

Now, because of that, and because there are just the two of us who are groomers in the salon, and SOMEONE has to be there to shave all those dogs, guess who got to fill in? Why naturally me. Captain America to the rescue right? I really should consider changing all my online names to something like that. Then again, to refuse to work in a situation like that is really just petty, mean, and selfish. She's going through all sorts of drama and I'm gonna be a jerk and say I can't cover because I want my usual days off? Nope, not gonna happen mister! I suppose this better falls under the category of being a merely decent human being.

Speaking of Captain America, and I know how many of you out there are interested in this sort of thing (oh come on, just pretend for me ok?), there's a NEW Captain America out there. You may recall seeing stories on the news about how the original Cap was assassinated on the stairs of the courthouse where he was heading for trial in the aftermath of the big Marvel Civil War.

All those theories that it was really a double who got shot or maybe somehow they'd find a way to bring him back, all rubbish. Dead is dead for a change in the Marvel universe, at least for now anyway. Wouldn't be the first time someone died then came back a few years later.

The seeds of Cap's replacement were planted quite a while back actually. Last year they ran a storyline where Cap's old partner from WWII came back. Turns out that he, like Cap, survived the same missile launch. In Cap's case, he landed somewhere in the arctic and was frozen. In Bucky's case (his partner) he was picked up by a Russian sub and they used him for some experiments, conditioning him to be a KGB assassin and keeping him on ice until they needed him. Every now and then they'd thaw him out, send him on a mission, pick him up again and back into the deep freeze.

When he found out Cap was dead, he was out for revenge. Since no one really knew who pulled the trigger, Bucky decided to go after the guy he found ultimately responsible: Iron Man! Iron Man was on the opposite side of Cap in the Civil War (there's just too much ground to cover here, just go with it). But Bucky being basically a decent guy, darker than Cap, but still a good guy, he couldn't go through with it. Iron Man explained a few things, they read a letter Cap left behind (in case he died of course) and in the end, Bucky is now Captain America.

Why is any of this important? Uh, well, I suppose in the grand scheme of things it isn't but all the same it'll be cool to see where they take this story now and it'll be interesting having a Captain America who's a little darker, a little closer to Wolverine and The Punisher.

Getting back to the salon though, I had a REALLY slow day on Tuesday. How slow? Absolutely NO appointments were made for that day. I did end up having some walk-ins but no one had made an appointment. It's not really uncommon or even a big deal except that we now have this white board in the salon where we're supposed to welcome the day's pet guests. No appointments, no guests for the white board. Blank white board. Can't have that. Have to put something on there right? When this happened before I'd put the names of my own pets (including the hamsters) up there but I didn't feel like doing that Tuesday. Instead I opened my PDA address book and grabbed some names.


If you were one of our guests on Tuesday, I hope you enjoyed the haircut I gave you :-D

No comments: