Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Delta Fair

Currently Reading: A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Well now, if you've already seen CC's blog you know that we went to the Delta Fair on Sunday after I got off from work. Work, as you'll recall, was so very slow that day because of the holiday and I figured since I usually get out early on Sunday, that would be the best day to go visit the fair.

The fair itself is located just across the street from CC's office which is all of 5 minutes away from our apartment. If we REALLY wanted to, we probably could have just walked over there from the apartment but we'd have to cross a river and a cornfield to get there. Probably best that we drove instead. And, because we parked at CC's office, we didn't even have to pay for parking.

As far as the fair itself is concerned, it's pretty much like any other mid to large carnival you've ever been to. They have the usual assortment of vomit rides, rides that go around and around at high speeds with the sole purpose seeming to be to get you to throw up the over-priced hot dogs and sodas that you've eaten. Oh yes, and they have hot dogs and sodas naturally. I had a foot long corndog myself but here in Memphis for some reason they call them pronto pups. Guess they wanna feel different or something.

It reminds me of when I was working at the call center years back and we were doing a poll on the Mid-South Fair. One of the most popular reasons people went to the fair, one of the few things that got positive reviews across the board: pronto pups. Go figure.

Anyway, we had a pretty good time. CC said it was a little too carny for her which I got a kick out of. I mean, when was the last time you went to a fair or carnival and it WASN'T that way? Ok sure, you have your smaller, local carnivals which are better but when you start having the bigger rides and stuff, well you're in carny town.

We're actually stacking them back to back this year. The Delta Fair which I think just started up here in Memphis runs until the weekend. After that they'll be running the Mid-South Fair over in mid-town so all these people here will drive their carny trailers across town and set it up over there. Honestly, same people, same stuff, just more area on this side of town to set up so it doesn't look as big and doesn't feel NEAR as crowded.

One thing I did get a chuckle out of was the comparisons between the two in the paper. Most folks seemed to like that this new fair was over on this side of town mostly because it wasn't in a bad neighborhood and there was plenty of parking. Those are the big concerns at the other fair. The neighborhood just isn't that great and after dark you tend to get paranoid about things. Plus there have been a few gang-related incidents over at the other place too. And don't get me started on the lack of parking and the over-priced parking there. Everyone with a lot will be trying to rake in as much as 10 bucks a car just to park. It's crazy.

So, what did CC and I enjoy the most at the Delta Fair? Well here it is. Yes, that's right, we rode the mechanical bull. I went first. CC was a bit scared to go on but at the same time she kept telling herself she'd regret not taking advantage of the opportunity. So, I went first to get her going. That's me up on the bull there. I lasted quite a while thank you and that thing was bucking pretty good before I finally fell off. I lasted my 8 seconds that's for sure. I was a bit sore the next day though. Bruises on my thighs and my back hurts a bit but it was a LOT of fun.

And here's CC. I had some free time on Thursday so I thought I'd make HER bull ride pictures more interesting. Besides, she only took ONE of me :-)



And, so naturally I had to find some sort of video to bring all this together and wrap things up so we'll close with that 80's classic, I Wanna Be A Cowboy by Boys Don't Cry. Enjoy!


No comments: