Monday, March 05, 2007

I'm 37 I'm not old; dining out; mardi dogs; grooming school

Currently Reading: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Watch this clip . . .


There, you see? It's official. According to the experts from England (Monty Python) I'm not old. Yes, it's true I'll be 37 on Wednesday but that's not old. Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page about that :-)



Speaking of birthdays, CC and I went out and had an early birthday dinner last night. You can read all about it over on her site, of course, but I just wanted to stick in a quick note here as well. We went to Texas de Brazil, which is downtown, right next to the Peabody hotel. In fact, it's sort of sandwiched between the hotel and the Peabody Place mall-like shopping center. I say mall-like because really, it's MUCH smaller than I thought it was going to be. CC and I joked that it's smaller than the size of the food court of the Glorietta mall in Manila.

Anyway, GREAT food there at Texas de Brazil. If you've got one in your city, pay it a visit. Or, if you're traveling and happen to be in a city where they have one of these places, go and visit. Yes, it may be considered a bit on the expensive side but hey, every now and then you really should sit down to a very good meal, no matter how much it costs. That's just one of life's simple pleasures.


Saturday, CC and I were out doing a little public relations for work. Over at the municipal park, Germantown was holding it's Mardi Dogs parade. We were supposed to do this last week but it got rained out.

This weekend the weather was much better (though it was a bit windy) and I had agreed to work the table there. Actually it wasn't really WORK. We handed out goodie bags to people who'd come to walk in the parade or just watch it. Inside each bag was a frizbee, a packet of bags to use for picking up dog poo, and lots of coupons for the store and the grooming salon.

We had a good time out there. Quite a few people showed up and almost everyone had a dog with them. It worked out well in that the library (which is on one end of the park) had story hour right before things got started so lots of people came over to see what we were doing. I haven't seen anything in the paper about who won the costume contest but I'm thinking the newspaper has a few other stories that they're ranking just a little more important.


Another week of grooming school has gone by and many dogs have been shaved. I was asked this weekend how much longer I was going to be in grooming school. 11 weeks. That's how long I have.

School is going well. No complaints. We did get a bit busy on Friday for no apparent reason at all. The dogs we washed and clipped weren't at the Mardi Dogs parade nor were there any other major dog events planned for the area. The weather wasn't so bad so maybe folks just decided to get their dogs cleaned up. All I know is that we moved 20 or so dogs through the salon before I left which is unusual for a weekday.

No comments: