Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Re-routed; Dog Punishment; Movies in Theaters; Videos Online

Currently Reading: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Had a little bit of trouble this weekend. Router died. The router, in case you don't know, is the little box that allows multiple computers to talk to each other and share the same printers and Internet connection. We use a wireless one here at the apartment so CC can check mail and stuff from her laptop.

The problem we had was some sort of argument between the router and the modem. The modem worked fine if used alone. The router worked fine if used alone. Put them together and they just did NOT want to get alone. I'm pretty patient with these sorts of things so I tried just about everything I could think of before finally giving up.

Went out Monday and got a new router. Works WAY better than the old one. Much faster. Easier to install. Most important, it gets along with the modem :-)

-----

CC wasn't feeling well yesterday. Some sort of 24 hour bug I'm thinking. There are always a few of those floating around this time of year. Worse, I got called in yesterday to work. Apparently the other bather didn't show up and they needed someone to close the salon.

I decided that it would be better for CC if I took the dogs with me to work. Hey, I work in the grooming department, we've got a whole room just for storing dogs. My reasoning was that CC would get more rest if she didn't have to deal with the dogs barking or running around every time they heard the slightest noise. I also figured the dogs needed a brush out and their nails trimmed. I washed them last week but never got around to the brushing. Ran out of time.

Katya came out very well. She really enjoys being fussed over. When she was younger she used to put up such a fight when it came to brushing. She just did NOT want anyone to make her look pretty. Not her style. Now she's a bit older and I think she rather enjoys looking nice.


You'll notice she's got pretty ribbons in her hair. Blue and red, those were my high school colors. She actually wasn't too sure about those when I was putting them in. I'm not exactly quick with the bows like the groomers are but I'm getting better. All things considered, she was fairly patient with me and it came out nice.

Jack, on the other hand, was a different story. At home he's really good about brushings. He enjoys them. He actually tries to push Katya aside while she's getting brushed so he can have his turn first. But at the salon it was a much different story.

I put Jack up on the grooming table and put the loop around his neck so he'd stay still. He immediately decided to plop down right there making it impossible to do his belly and pretty tough to get to his feet. I managed the brush out but when I turned to get the nail clippers, he tried to jump off the table . . . the same table he's attached to by the grooming loop.

Fortunately there's a safety break in there to keep dogs from hanging themselves by jumping off (the way Jack did). Still, I was NOT amused. I gathered him up again, put him back on the table, reattached the loop and did his nails. When I turned to get the spray on cologne, he did it again.

Needless to say if he was going to be a bad doggie he was going to get punished. So he got ribbons too :-)


Blue and orange. Those were my college colors. Thing is though, he didn't seem to mind the ribbons much. Actually stood still while I put them in. I guess I'll have to come up with a new form of punishment next time :-)

-----

We're heading into the spring and summer movie season. That's when most of the really GOOD movies come out. Well no, that's when the BIG good movies come out. All the Oscar movies wait until the dead season to be released.

Anyway, big movies is what CC and I like to watch in the theaters. CC just likes big movies I think. She's not so big on dramas and thrillers and such, but put in a musical or a big special effects show and she'll enjoy it. Just look at how much she loved V for Vendetta.

Me, I like all kinds of movies same as I like all kinds of books. But now that my hearing has gone all to hell, I pretty much save the smaller films for dvd and cable. Why? Well those thrillers and dramas usually get their force from dialogue and quite frankly, I often only get one word in 10. You take V for Vendetta for example. Great film. I heard pretty much everything Natalie Portman said. Same with John Hurt and Stephen Rae. But Hugo? Hugo Weaving, mid to deep voice, behind a mask, I missed HUGE chunks of what he was saying. It's just a bad range for me that's all.

This is why I like the big movies. Usually you don't need to actually HEAR them to get a good idea of what's going on. The action speaks for itself. So that's where you'll find me when I'm at the theater: where the action is.

The exception to this rule is when a movie is based on a book I've read. I saw Memoirs of a Geisha in the theater but there again, I missed a lot of the dialogue. Did it matter? No, because I already knew the story. Contrast that with Capote, which I finally saw on dvd last week. There's no way I would have enjoyed that in the theater. I'd have missed too many important details. That's a case where even knowing the story doesn't help.

-----

CC put up some video on her site. She's got a pretty cool Shakira video. I swear that woman is a robot. There's no way humans can move like that :-)

I hate being left out of cool things so here's a video by Pussycat Dolls. The dancing may not be as good but it's not bad. Clearly the video is geared more towards a MALE audience ;-) Plus, I really like this song. Enjoy! :-)




No comments: