Wednesday, February 15, 2006

House Cleaning; Vacuum Sucks; Internet in Super Slow-mo; Schedule Change; Let It Snow!

Currently Reading: Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert

Been doing a bit of house cleaning over the past few days. No, CC's not actually due home until Sunday and no, I'm not forced to start cleaning early because the apartment is that bad. It just needed cleaning and I had the time to do it, that's all :-)

So, in the spirit of house cleaning, I'll be doing a little of that on the blog today with a series of little items all piled up to make one long blog entry :-)

-----

Ran into a little bit of trouble while cleaning the apartment actually. My vacuum cleaner broke. And when I say broke, I mean it REALLY broke. We're not talking about a clogged hose or a broken belt. Ok, granted smoke didn't come pouring out of the thing, but it is pretty seriously broken.

What I discovered was a design flaw in the vacuum. You know the beater brush bar on the bottom? It's the bar that spins around and kicks up dirt to be sucked into the cleaner. Well, Dirt Devil, in their invinite wisdom, didn't really cap the ends very well on this particular model. It's not protected. Protected from what? From anything long and stringy like DOG HAIR!

I'm not making this up, there was so much dog hair clogging the ends of the beater bar that the connector that holds it into place actually melted from the friction. As a result, the bar just kind of rattles around instead of spinning properly. Unfortunately this doesn't fall under the usual warranty stuff. They seem to think that using the vacuum cleaner in this way is MISuse.

So, as I understand it, using a vacuum cleaner to clean the rugs, a vacuum cleaner that says right on the box that it's great for pet hair, using that vacuum cleaner to pick up pet hair is misuse.

I don't think I'll be buying anything from them for a long time :-)

-----

My internet is in Super Slow-mo right now. There's some trouble in the line again and I've got "limited or no connectivity." Called them this morning and they'll send someone out tomorrow to fix it. Last time this happened it was something to do with the line not getting enough power. Probably the same thing. Flip a few switches, change some cable around, good as new. Until then, though, I'm stuck with DIAL UP!

Ok, everybody calm down. Didn't mean to scare you there. Breathe! Relax! It'll be ok tomorrow, I'm sure :-)

-----

I forgot to mention that I've had a schedule change at work. Most of you already know about it because I was so stir crazy on Sunday that I went out visiting people. But for those of you who don't know, our other bather has gone to grooming school so he's now classified as a groomer. We've just hired a new bather (though no one has met her other than the manager) and so the work schedule is being juggled around. I've got Sunday and Monday off, which is nice because now I'll have a day off in common with CC. We can do stuff together again . . . once she gets back from Dallas of course. And now that we have the new bather on staff we'll be going to 4-day work weeks, which is ALSO nice because that means 3 days off :-)

It'll be a little bit frantic at first. People will be getting used to the new hours plus I've got to train the new bather. But in a week or so it'll settle down and there won't be any stress there. Plus, we'll have plenty of staff on hand to handle anything that comes in. That's the thing about working at the pet store. Even the most boring days can turn around without warning. All it takes is one person deciding that their poorly trained Great Dane needs a bath. :-)

-----

We had some snow last week. I meant to take some pictures or something and post them but then I realized that, well, it's just snow. Folks in town saw it first hand. Folks out of town have seen snow before. It's not like we had a blizzard that left everyone stranded like they did on the East Coast. Here we just had 3-4 inches.

Sure was coming down pretty hard there for a while though. People were starting to get worried that it might not stop and we might get burried. We also had about an inch of slush on the roads to go with it and when night fell we were worried it would all freeze up into one HUGE mess.

But that didn't happen. In fact, as snows go it was pretty boring. Looked nice for a little while then it just became annoying. So I left it for the last item on the list :-)

.

No comments: